The Godfather will be providing more articles over the summer.

Sunday 2nd May 2010
The Coca Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: D Deadman
Attendance: 16,819
Queens Park Rangers 0-1 Newcastle United
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers starting line-up: Cerny, Ramage, Leigertwood, Buzsaky, Gorkss, Cook, Faurlin, Simpson, Ephraim, Priskin, Tosic.

Newcastle United: Krul, Coloccini, Williamson, Barton, Guthrie, Routledge, Simpson, R.Taylor, Smith, Best, Ameobi.

There is no question that Queens Park Rangers deserved more from this match. Newcastle, perhaps unsurprisingly, were not at their best, having already gained promotion and won the Championship title. At times, their players looked as if they were taking part in a pre-season friendly. The Rs, despite Ramage being sent off, managed to give the Geordies a stern test, creating a number of opportunities, most notably when Jay Simpson squandered a one-on-one chance with the goalkeeper. Once again, it was the lack of a proven goalscorer that cost the Super Hoops, something that was highlighted by Peter Lovenkrands' superb second-half winner.

I had to feel sorry for poor old Peter Ramage, who, as already mentioned, was sent off a minute into the second half. What makes the incident even more painful is that the defender apparently brought around 50 of his family and friends to watch him play against his former club. Despite the fact that it was clearly a professional foul on Ameobi, I do feel that Mr Deadman's decision was a little harsh given the context of the game.

Neil Warnock selected a strong side for this encounter. Simpson partnered the unpopular Tamas Priskin in attack, whilst Cook and Ephraim occupied the flanks. Faurlin and Buzsaky took up central midfield, whilst the back four consisted of Tosic, Gorkss, Ramage and Leigertwood. Radek Cerny retained the goalkeeping position.

After a minute's applause for QPR's record appearance-holder, Tony Ingham, who sadly passed away recently, the match kicked off. I have to say, the first fifteen minutes were very dull indeed, with some attractive, yet pointless, passing patterns from both teams.

The first opportunity of the match fell to Queens Park Rangers in the 16th minute, and they probably should have broken the deadlock. Ephraim's deep corner found Akos Buzsaky unmarked inside the penalty area. However, the Hungarian was only able to lift his effort over the crossbar.

Then, Dusko Tosic, who produced a really impressive performance, picked up the ball on the left wing and cut inside into the penalty area. Unfortunately, Krul comfortably gathered his shot.

Just before half time, QPR carved out another fantastic chance to open the scoring. Player of the Season, Alejandro Faurlin, played Simpson through on goal with a wonderful long-ball. To my despair, Krul easily saved the Arsenal loanee's effort.

Things took a bizarre turn at the end of the first half when a supporter blew a whistle, fooling both the players and the stadium staff, who started to play music across the PA system. Fortunately, the referee realised what had happened and restarted play. When the real whistle blew, the stadium announcer said, "yes, it really is half-time, ladies and gentlemen".

Queens Park Rangers 0-0 Newcastle United

Within a minute of the second half, disaster struck for Queens Park Rangers. A through-pass put Shola Ameobi through on goal. Ramage tried to perform a last-ditch tackle from behind, but he brought the big Newcastle striker to the ground. Mr Deadman brandished a red card, which left Ramage visibly devastated. However, the fact that he received a standing ovation from both the QPR and Newcastle supporters will have cheered him up a little.

Warnock responded by bringing on youngster, Josh Parker, at the expense of Lee Cook. Parker was played in the right-back position, whilst Leigertwood switched to central defence. I must admit, at this stage, I did fear the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that Rangers looked the better side with ten men.

Newcastle substitution: Best off for Lovenkrands (53 minutes).

In the 65th minute, after Coloccini had given away possession, Hogan Ephraim received the ball in space on the edge of the area. However, his shot was very disappointing, being easily gathered by Krul. This was another poor performance from Ephraim. I don't think he has the necessary attributes to succeed at this level.

After all QPR's missed chances, Peter Lovenkrands showed what the art of finishing is all about in the 70th minute. The former Glasgow Rangers striker timed his run perfectly, latching on to Joey Barton's through-pass and chipping it over Cerny and into the back of the net.

A few minutes later, the home team almost struck back. Again it was Simpson who missed the opportunity, being played through on goal by Priskin and then firing his effort straight at Krul. He really should have done better.

In the 76th minute, Romone Rose replaced Hogan Ephraim. The youngster looked quite impressive during his brief spell on the pitch. His pace could prove to be an asset to QPR in the future. However, I do feel that his first touch needs improvement.

Newcastle substitution: Ameobi off for Carroll (78 minutes).

Newcastle substitution: Guthrie off for Vuckic (78 minutes).

The final ten minutes of the match did not produce a clear-cut opportunity. Priskin did put the ball into the back of the net, but was adjudged to have been offside.

Full-time scoreline: Queens Park Rangers 0-1 Newcastle United.

Conclusion

Even in a pretty much meaningless game, it was the same old story for Queens Park Rangers. A lack of firepower up front meant that they simply were not able to convert their opportunities. Look at our strikers: is it any wonder that we have performed poorly this season?

Fortunately, in Warnock, we have a man who knows what he is doing. I expect that he will get rid of much of the rubbish in our squad and (hopefully) replace it with players who are proven at Championship level.

Man of the match: Dusko Tosic - an excellent performance from the on-loan left back. It will be interesting to see whether Warnock chooses to sign him during the summer.