Saturday 17th April 2010
The Coca Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: M Oliver
Kick-off: 15:00
Queens Park Rangers (18th) V Cardiff City (4th)
By The Godfather

QPR's superb victory at Crystal Palace last Saturday has all but ended supporters' fears of relegation. However, mathematically, the Rs are not safe yet, and they will be hoping to pick up a decent result against play-off contenders, Cardiff City, in order to guarantee their Championship status for next season.

Over the last ten years or so, a fierce rivalry has developed between QPR and Cardiff. The two clubs met in the Second Division Play-off Final in 2003, with the Bluebirds coming out on top thanks to an extra-time winner. Therefore, I expect that there will be a heated atmosphere at Loftus Road on Saturday.

Cardiff City

Manager: Dave Jones

Season 2008-09 finish: 7th place.

Last season, Cardiff threw away their play-off place thanks to a dreadful late run of form, which culminated in a defeat at Sheffield Wednesday on the final day of the campaign. In truth, the manner in which they missed out on the top six was rather embarrassing, and there were calls for Dave Jones to resign. The Board, however, chose to stick behind their manager. It seems that the decision has paid off.

The Bluebirds could secure their place in the play-offs with a victory on Saturday afternoon. They currently lie in 4th position, with a seven-point lead over 7th placed Blackpool. This could well be City's year.

Despite this success on the pitch, the club's season has been marred by problems in the boardroom. HM Revenue has issued the Bluebirds with several winding-up orders over the course of the campaign, sparking protests from supporters against Chairman Peter Ridsdale, who seems to have a track record when it comes to leaving clubs in financial turmoil. Of course, promotion to the Premiership would bring in some much-needed revenue, and it is therefore vital that City cement their play-off position on Saturday afternoon.

Men to watch

Cardiff City's star man is winger, Peter Whittingham, who has scored a very impressive total of 22 goals this season in all competitions. The former England Under-21 international is a player whom I rate very highly indeed, renowned for his ability to produce accurate shots from long-range. I am sure, however, that Neil Warnock has identified the threat that the 25 year-old poses.

Up front, Jones is likely to select clinical but highly irritating striker, Michael Chopra. The 26 year-old has netted 19 times this season, including two goals against Swansea in the recent Welsh derby. There is no doubt that the former Newcastle and Sunderland man is very talented indeed, but he tends to throw tantrums when things don't go his own way (I remember a heated confrontation after QPR beat Cardiff in the 2006/07 season at Loftus Road).

Jay Bothroyd is likely to partner Chopra in attack. Whilst not being a prolific goalscorer, the 27 year-old always seems to cause problems with his sheer physical presence. The former Coventry, Perugia and Wolves striker has scored 21 goals in 77 appearances for the Bluebirds.

In the middle of the park, Jones is likely to select Joe Ledley in his starting line-up. The 23 year-old's impressive performances have attracted interest from numerous Premiership clubs, but City have managed to hold on to the talented midfielder. Hard-working and skilful, Ledley is likely to provide the likes of Faurlin with a stern test on Saturday afternoon.

Memorable Match

Rather than focus on the previous match between these two sides, I thought I'd mention the match at Ninian Park in the 2006/07 season. The QPR V Cardiff fixture always reminds me of Ray Jones' late winner in front of the Sky cameras. Cardiff were top of the league at the time, whilst Queens Park Rangers were hovering above the relegation zone. Everyone expected a home victory. However, after producing a fine defensive performance, the Rs nicked the points when the talented Jones converted Nick Ward's wonderful cross. This was a truly memorable night.

Cardiff City 0-1 Queens Park Rangers

QPR Team News

Thankfully Damion Stewart has been released from hospital after suffering a fractured skull and bleeding to the brain as the result of a collision with a Crystal Palace defender last Saturday. He will miss the rest of the season. Peter Ramage could occupy his place in the starting line-up. Matthew Connolly is likely to be unavailable once again, whilst Gavin Mahon and Martin Rowlands remain long-term absentees.

Prediction

Even after beating Crystal Palace, I still feel that another point is needed in order to guarantee safety. There is no reason why they cannot achieve this against the Bluebirds. After all, the Rs seem to have enjoyed success against City in recent times, beating them 2-0 earlier in the campaign. I fancy Rangers to produce another decent performance here, picking up a creditable point. Come on you Rs!

Queens Park Rangers 1-1 Cardiff City