Saturday 27th March 2010
The Coca Cola Championship
Deepdale Stadium
Kick-off: 15:00
Referee: A Haines
Preston North End (15th) V Queens Park Rangers (17th)
By The Godfather

Throughout the campaign, it has been clear that Queens Park Rangers have been in desperate need of two quality full-backs, who can actually provide some sort of an attacking threat. I was therefore delighted to see Neil Warnock bring in Dusko Tosic on loan from Portsmouth until the end of the season. Moreover, according to reports, former Fulham defender, Moritz Volz, has been offered a contract. Whilst I am pleased to see the manager strengthening that department, the team is still not good enough, and I expect that there will be a mass clear-out during the summer.

For now, though, Neil Warnock must concentrate on a difficult away trip to Darren Ferguson's Preston North End team. Although the Lilywhites have lost their last two fixtures, there has been a notable improvement in their performances.

Preston North End

Manager: Darren Ferguson - So far, Fergie junior's managerial career has been a real success. During his time at Peterborough, he guided the club to an astonishing achievement of two successive promotions. However, with the Posh struggling at the bottom of the Championship, he was sacked in November. Ferguson was appointed as manager of Preston in January.

Season 2008-09 finish: 6th position.

The 2009/10 campaign has seen the Lilywhites unable to replicate their success from last season. Inconsistency has seen the club sink into mid-table mediocrity, at times being in danger of falling into the relegation battle. Since the appointment of Darren Ferguson as manager, however, things have improved slightly. Being the son of Sir Alex, of course, it's not surprising that a few Man United youngsters have joined Preston on loan, including the talented Danny Welbeck (although he recently picked up an injury).

Men to watch

Top scorer, Jon Parkin, is likely to be Preston North End's main attacking threat on Saturday afternoon. Nicknamed “the Beast” for his sheer size and aggression, the 28 year-old always causes problems whenever he comes up against the Super Hoops. Parkin, who has scored 12 times this season, could pose a threat to the QPR defence on Saturday afternoon.

Neil Mellor, who has scored 11 goals this season, could partner Parkin in attack. The 27 year-old started his career with Liverpool, where he made 12 appearances. Loan spells at West Ham and Wigan followed, before he signed for Preston on a permanent basis in 2006. Mellor is a clinical finisher who must be marked effectively by the QPR defenders on Saturday afternoon. Darren Ferguson could also select striker, Chris Brown, in his starting line-up. He has netted 11 goals so far this campaign.

On the right flank, expect to see the talented Chris Sedgwick. The 29 year-old has made over 200 appearances for the Lilywhites since 2004, becoming a favourite with the fans in the process. I’ve always been impressed by Sedgwick’s skill and pace. I do hope that Warnock has identified this threat.

In the heart of midfield, Ferguson could hand a start to Richard Chaplow. The 25 year-old has established himself as a first team regular since signing for the club in 2008. Chaplow, who lists Burnley and West Brom among his former teams, has represented England at Under-20 and Under-21 level.

At the back, Liam Chilvers is likely to retain his place in the starting line-up. The 28 year-old has earned a reputation of being a reliable centre-half since signing for the Lilywhites from Colchester in 2006. The former Arsenal trainee has made over 70 appearances for Preston so far.

In goal, expect to see Andy Lonergan keep his place. The 26 year-old, who has signed a new three-and-a-half year contract at the club, has registered over 160 appearances for North End since 2000.

Previous Match

October 2009 (extract from my match report) - In my match preview I predicted a dull encounter finishing in a 1-1 draw. How wrong was I? This was the best performance from Queens Park Rangers I have seen for a very long time, the Rs dismantling the North End defence with some exceptional skill and wonderful passing movements. I’m sure that even the most ardent of Preston fans would agree that their team was thoroughly outplayed and outfought by Magilton’s men. Each of the four goals was brilliantly worked, but Taraabt’s opener stood out as an early “goal of the season” candidate. In short, it is a pleasure to write about such an entertaining, and most importantly, successful display from the Super Hoops.

QPR Manager, Jim Magilton (on Taraabt): "He has that in spades - he's a genius. He's a dying breed in the modern game, the way he goes past people, and the finish was pure class. That was our best performance since I've been here. We took our opportunities and we were excellent."

Queens Park Rangers 4-0 Preston North End

QPR Team News

Dusko Tosic could be in line to make his debut on Saturday afternoon. Matthew Connolly picked up a knock on Tuesday night, and could miss out. Jay Simpson will undergo a late fitness test, after struggling with hamstring problems recently. Gavin Mahon and Martin Rowlands remain long-term absentees.

Prediction

When these two sides met at Loftus Road earlier in the campaign, Queens Park Rangers looked more like a Brazilian team than a Championship outfit, tearing Preston apart with an array of attractive passing movements. I expect that Saturday's match will be totally different: a tight, rather dull encounter, between two sides occupying the middle positions in the league table. Therefore, I suspect this will be a draw, although there is no reason why the Rs can't nick the three points if they produce an improved performance to that of Tuesday night.

Preston North End 1-1 Queens Park Rangers