Saturday 13th Febraury 2010
The Coca Cola Championship
The Ricoh Arena
Referee: D Foster
Kick-off: 15:00
Coventry City (14th) V Queens Park Rangers (17th)
By The Godfather

After Tuesday night's defeat to Ipswich Town, Queens Park Rangers find themselves in a relegation battle. Without a victory in eight matches, the Rs now lie just two points off the relegation zone. Harford's men now face a daunting trip to the Ricoh Arena, against a Coventry side that beat automatic promotion contenders, Nottingham Forest, in their previous match.

Coventry City

Manager: Chris Coleman

Season 2008-09 finish: 17th place.

Coventry have spent the last few campaigns in mid-table mediocrity. And, frankly, it doesn't look like that's going to change this season. Too inconsistent to mount a play-off challenge, the Sky Blues lie in 14th place in the league table, having registered a total of 37 points. However, relegation is still a possibility, and Coleman will be eager to pick up three points against a beleagured Queens Park Rangers team.

Men to watch

After the departure of star striker, Leon Best, Chris Coleman has secured the services of Freddie Sears on loan from West Ham United. Although the 20 year-old is clearly a talented footballer, he did not score during his spell with Crystal Palace earlier in the campaign (well, apart from that disallowed goal at Bristol City - you know the one I mean).

Experienced centre-forward, Clinton Morrison, is likely to play. The 30 year-old has an irritating habit of scoring against the Super Hoops - let's hope that doesn't continue on Saturday. He has enjoyed two successful spells with Crystal Palace, making over 250 appearances in total and scoring 103 goals, earning 36 international caps for Ireland in the process. He signed for Coventry in 2008 and has scored six times so far this season.

Chris Coleman also has former Southend star, Freddy Eastwood, at his disposal. Since leaving the Shrimpers, the 26 year-old has struggled to regain his goalscoring touch. After failing to break into the first team at Wolves, he moved to the Ricoh Arena in 2008. This season, it appears that he is back to his best - he's scored seven goals.

On the left wing, Michael McIndoe is likely to keep his place in the starting line-up. After successful spells with Yeovil, Doncaster and Barnsley, the 30 year-old signed for Wolves in 2007. However, after only a few months at Molineux, he moved to Bristol City in search of first-team football. The Scot impressed during his two-year period at Ashton Gate, making 90 appearances. He joined the Sky Blues in August and has played a key role so far in the 2009/10 campaign. The pacey winger is an excellent crosser of the ball and could pose a threat on Saturday afternoon.

On the other flank, David Bell could be handed a place in the starting line-up. The 26 year-old made a name for himself playing for Luton Town between 2006 and 2008, making 70 appearances. His impressive performances attracted the interest of Norwich City, who purchased him for an undisclosed fee. After the Canaries' relegation, he joined the Sky Blues for £500,000. Bell could give the QPR full-backs a tough time on Saturday afternoon.

In central midfield, Aron Gunnarsson could start. The Icelandic international signed for Coventry in 2008 from Dutch side, AZ. He has since impressed at the Ricoh Arena, earning himself a regular place in the first team. The 20 year-old is renowned for his long throw, which he developed as a youth playing handball.

Coventry also have defender, Martin Cranie, who spent a couple of months on loan at QPR a few years ago. Many Rs fans wanted to see the 23 year-old signed on a permanent deal - it will be interesting to see how he fares on Saturday. He signed for the Sky Blues from Portsmouth last August for an undisclosed fee and has since made 24 appearances.

In goal, Kieren Westwood should keep his place. The 25 year-old is a talented shot-stopper and has earned two call-ups to the Republic of Ireland national team.

Previous Match

November 2009 - In an entertaining encounter at Loftus Road, high-flying Queens Park Rangers were held by a well organised Coventry City team. The Sky Blues took the lead in the 16th minute, Best heading home from a cross. Simpson equalised for the Rs in the 35th minute, tapping in from close range. Rangers piled on the pressure after the break and deservedly went ahead when Buzsaky slotted into the bottom corner of the net. However, against the run of play, Richard Wood nicked a point for the away team from a free-kick.

QPR Manager, Jim Magilton: "I'm extremely disappointed. We didn't defend at set-pieces and I'm angry about that. Matt Connolly has to take his share of the blame for the first goal. If you're marking someone then you need to take responsibility. For the second goal the keeper [Radek Cerny] should have done better. I'm angry because we were very good with the ball. We were confident, extremely bright and passed it well. But you also have to take responsibility and defend for your lives. That didn't happen. We fell asleep at set-pieces."

QPR 2-2 Coventry City

QPR Team News

Marcus Bent limped off after eight minutes on Tuesday night and is unlikely to be available for Saturday's clash. Tamas Priskin is back in contention for a starting place after missing out against Ipswich due to the terms of his loan deal. Peter Ramage could also be involved after serving his one-match ban. Mikele Leigertwood, meanwhile, is still suspended. Martin Rowlands and Gavin Mahon remain long-term absentees.

Prediction

As I mentioned in the match report, I would like to see Harford select the team that finished the match against Ipswich. That side looked as if it might possibly get us out of the trouble we're in. I realise that a midfield of Buzsaky, Faurlin, Cook and Taraabt lacks a holding midfielder, but the defence is so dodgy that I can't help thinking that attack is the best form of defence for Rangers. If the Rs can show the same kind of energy and creativity as they did during the second half of Tuesday night's game, I think that they may avoid defeat. I'll predict a draw here, with the same scoreline as that of the previous meeting between these two clubs.

Coventry City 2-2 Queens Park Rangers