Tuesday 9th February 2010
The Coca Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: F Graham
Attendance: 10940
Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Ipswich Town
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers starting line-up: Ikeme, Stewart, Bent, Gorkss, Quashie, Connolly, Cook, Faurlin, Hill, Simpson, Ephraim.

Ipswich Town starting line-up: Lee-Barrett, Delaney, McAuley, Leadbitter, Garvan, Counago, Norris, Peters, Colback, Walters, Murphy.

I know it's a cliché, but this really was a game of two halves. In the first, Queens Park Rangers produced an utterly inept performance, conceding two very soft goals and demonstrating very little creativity, energy and passion. The second, however, was far more encouraging. Substitutes, Adel Taraabt and Akos Buzsaky, linked up well with the likes of Cook, Faurlin and Simpson and, in the end, the Rs were unlucky not to force an equaliser. I think Harford may have found his best team!

As Mick Harford admitted in his post-match interview, the first half performance was absolutely pathetic. The players, apart from one or two, seemed to be lacking in confidence and ambition. I have to say that Marcus Bent (who suffered an injury only a few minutes into the match), Nigel Quashie and Matt Hill were particularly disappointing. It was not surprising, therefore, that Ipswich took the advantage.

Once again, though, I have to give a special mention to Lee Cook, who produced another excellent display on the left flank. I must confess, I did have doubts as to whether his comeback would be a successful one, but I've been really impressed by his return from injury. Let's hope his performances continue!

Harford made several changes to the starting line-up. With Tamas Priskin unable to play against his parent club, Jay Simpson partnered Marcus Bent in attack. Cook and Ephraim took up the flanks, whilst Quashie and Faurlin occupied central midfield. The back four consisted of Connolly, Stewart, Gorkss and Hill, and Carl Ikeme kept his place in goal.

After an impeccably observed minute's silence for Honorary Life President, Harold Winton, who sadly passed away on Monday, the match kicked off. Immediately, I became concerned at the start Rangers made. The phrase, "a bunch of headless chickens" sprang to mind, with the Rs unable to string two passes together. Ipswich were dominating proceedings, keeping possession effectively and exploiting the home team's defensive weaknesses.

In all honesty, I was not surprised when the Tractor Boys took the lead in the 8th minute. The talented John Walters received the ball on the right flank and, with Hill nowhere to be seen, crossed in for Norris. His deflected effort sailed into the top corner of the net, sending the travelling supporters into wild celebration. Another truly shocking piece of defending: I genuinely thought that I could have done better.

In the 10th minute, Marcus Bent, who had looked poor during his brief spell on the pitch, was replaced by Rowan Vine due to an injury. Vine, I'm afraid, was ineffective once again. I am starting to fear that he will never regain the form he enjoyed before he sustained his broken leg. Perhaps he can take inspiration from Lee Cook's comeback....

Amazingly, in the 12th minute, QPR carved out an opportunity of their own. Some good work from Cook led to Vine picking up the ball on the left flank. Progressing to the by-line, the former Luton striker crossed in for Simpson, who somehow sent his header flying over the crossbar from only a few yards out.

Ipswich responded by almost doubling their lead in the 19th minute. Again it was Norris causing the problems, heading the ball towards goal. Ikeme somehow managed to palm it away, but only into the path of Daryl Murphy. To my relief, however, the goalkeeper managed to block the Irishman's effort. I am not a great fan of Ikeme, but there can be no doubt that these were two superb saves.

Rangers, however, did not learn from their mistakes and, seven minutes before half time, Ipswich netted a deserved second goal. Colback's superb cross from the left flank found Daryl Murphy, who was completely unmarked in the penalty area. The Irish striker carried out the simple task of smashing the ball into the roof of the net from close-range.

The remainder of the first half was filled by chants of "sack the board", with the supporters shouting various obscenities at Gianni Paladini and Flavio Briatore. I could understand their frustration: this had been a truly atrocious performance, symbolic of the state of the club as a whole.

Bookings: Connolly (35 minutes).

Half-time score: Queens Park Rangers 0-2 Ipswich Town

Harford decided to bring on Adel Taraabt and Akos Buzsaky at the expense of Nigel Quashie and Hogan Ephraim. This was the correct decision, in my opinion. Rangers desperately needed a creative spark in midfield - Cook and Faurlin couldn't manage by themselves.

Just a minute into the second half, a brilliant through-pass from Taraabt put Simpson through on goal. However, with a defender closing him down, the Arsenal loanee could only fire at goal from a tight angle, forcing the goalkeeper into tipping the ball over the bar.

Ipswich substitution: Rosenior on for Garvan (65 minutes).

Ipswich substitution: Counago off for Healy (65minutes).

The home team continued to apply the pressure, with Taraabt, Cook, Faurlin, Buzsaky and Simpson linking up very effectively indeed. And, in the 66th minute, the Rs got the goal that their efforts deserved. Cook received the ball on the edge of the area and fired a shot into a crowd of players. Fortunately, it fell perfectly for Jay Simpson, who tucked it into the bottom corner of the net.

At the other end, Ipswich threatened when Healy crossed in for Murphy at the near post, who somehow sent his shot flying wide of the near post. This was another let off for Matt Hill, who had allowed Healy to progress down the flank far too easily.

Ipswich substitution: Murphy off for Stead (85 minutes).

Queens Park Rangers continued to attack, but just couldn't find that all-important breakthrough. After four minutes of stoppage time, the referee signalled the end to what had been a rather bizarre game of football.

Bookings: Norris (64 minutes), Walters (75 minutes).

Full-time score: Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Ipswich Town

Conclusion

Whose fault was it that the first half performance was so bad? Had Harford got his tactics wrong? Or should the blame lie with the players? In any case, it seems that, either by luck or accident, the team that ended the game looked as if it possibly might get us out of the trouble we're in. In my view, the Rs looked far more dangerous going forward after the break and, if the same players start on Saturday, we could be in with a chance.

Man of the match: Lee Cook. As already mentioned, he was by far the best performer during the first half and linked up well with the likes of Taraabt and Buzsaky after the break.