Tuesday 9th February 2010
The Coca Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: Mr F Graham
Kick-off: 20:00
Queens Park Rangers (14th) V Ipswich Town (21st)
By The Godfather

Again, slightly shorter than usual. Normal service will be resumed for this Saturday's match against Coventry City.

First of all, I have a confession to make. I did travel up to Peterborough on Saturday and could have provided a match report for WATRB. However, I couldn't put myself through the pain of reliving what was an absolutely shocking performance from Queens Park Rangers. I'm afraid that there were very few positives to take from that encounter.

I will be attending Tuesday night's match out of habit, certainly not in the expectation of any enjoyment. Over these last few weeks, I have watched QPR produce some of the most gutless and pathetic displays since the likes of Steve Morrow and Sammy Koejoe were gracing the hallowed turf of Loftus Road. And, unfortunately, I can't see the situation improving.

Ipswich Town

Manager: Roy Keane

Season 2009/10 finish: 9th place.

The Tractor Boys are still suffering the effects of their abysmal start to the campaign, which saw them fail to secure a victory until October. Despite an improvement in form, Keane's men lie in 21st position in the league table, just a point off the drop-zone. Relegation remains a serious possibility for Ipswich, and it is vital that they pick up three points against the Super Hoops on Tuesday night.

Men to watch

1. Ipswich's joint top scorer, Jon Stead, could start up front. At one point it seemed that the 26 year-old would go on to achieve success in the Premiership for Blackburn Rovers, but the purchase of Craig Bellamy in 2005 made it impossible for him to hold down a regular place in the first team. Moves to Sunderland and Sheffield United followed, but once again Stead found it difficult to break into the starting line-up. The former England Under-21 international joined the Tractor Boys in September 2008 and has since made 67 appearances for the club. Having made an irritating habit out of scoring against Queens Park Rangers, Stead will be feeling confident about Tuesday night's fixture.

2. The experienced Pablo Counago could partner Stead in attack. The 30 year-old striker is enjoying his second spell with the Tractor Boys, having played for the club between 2001 and 2005. He rejoined Ipswich in 2007 after a disappointing two-year period playing for Malaga. The former Spanish Under-21 international has made a total of 200 starts for the Blues, scoring 53 goals.

3. Roy Keane also has new signings, David Healy and Daryl Murphy, at his disposal. The two Sunderland strikers joined on loan deals in the January transfer window, being reunited with their former manager. The former is Northern Ireland's all-time record goalscorer, having netted 35 times in 78 international appearances, whilst the latter scored on his debut against Middlesbrough within 23 seconds of the kick-off. Expect them to pose a real threat on Tuesday night.

4. On the right wing, expect to see the talented Jonathan Walters, who has returned from suspension. The 26 year-old is Ipswich's joint top scorer so far this season, with six goals to his name. The former Republic of Ireland Under-21 international lists Blackburn, Bolton, Hull, Wrexham and Chester among his former clubs. He could cause problems for the Rs with his pace and skill.

5. At the back, former QPR defender, Damien Delaney, is likely to keep his place in the starting line-up. The 28 year-old first made his name playing for Hull City, making 224 appearances for the Tigers in a six-year spell. Rangers signed him in January 2008 and he went on to make 54 starts for the club, despite becoming unpopular for performances that many perceived to be lazy. He joined Ipswich last summer and has since established himself as a first team regular.

Previous Match

December 2009 - Ipswich Town secured a comfortable victory over Paul Hart's QPR side. Walters put the home team ahead with just four minutes on the clock, collecting Stern John's pass and firing past Radek Cerny. Taraabt missed a fantastic opportunity to equalise, heading wide from close-range. After the break, Stead sealed the win, firing home from inside the penalty area in the 63rd and 78th minute.

QPR Manager, Paul Hart: "I thought our first half performance warranted a better return than we got. We were unfortunate with their first goal, when it took a deflection and looped past the keeper. After that I thought we should have had a penalty and then should have scored after a great cross fell to Adel Taarabt. We felt if we could reproduce our performance of the first half we'd be alright, but we lost our legs a bit. Their second goal came after a slip on the touchline and it's hard to swallow because we're not getting done by great goals, we're the architects of our own downfall."

Ipswich Town 3-0 Queens Park Rangers

Team News

Adel Taraabt missed the Peterborough match: whether he will be available for selection on Tuesday night is unclear. Mikele Leigertwood and Peter Ramage will both have to sit out of this fixture after receiving red cards on Saturday. Martin Rowlands and Gavin Mahon, meanwhile, remain long-term absentees.

Prediction

As already mentioned, QPR's recent performances have lacked creativity, passion and energy. Unfortunately, I just can't see that changing in the space of a couple of days. I'm afraid to say that our beloved club is in crisis and, unless things improve quickly, Rangers could be dragged into a relegation battle. For those reasons, I'm going to have to predict another defeat here. I do hope I'm wrong.

Queens Park Rangers 0-1 Ipswich Town