The current furore over John Terry has seen so many people in and out of football debating whether he should remain England captain for the World Cup. True, you have to say the allegations do darken Terry's name but what happens off the pitch should not influence matter once you cross over the white line.

I think the days are long gone when the England captain is a morale role model for others to look up to, it’s a very old fashioned outlook on it and it is only in England where we place such high standing on the national team captain. In Italy they give the captaincy to whichever is the most-capped player on the team.

Maybe Fabio Capello will consider implementing that strategy as I cannot think of any real contenders to take over – Steven Gerrard would be the number one choice but he does not really come with a squeaky-clean reputation does he,

Terry still remains the favourite with Betfair Football to lead England into the World Cup and personally I think he should continue as captain for the foreseeable future. I just hope all the outside pressure from the media does not force him to stand down from the role.