Tuesday 26th January 2010
The Coca-Cola Championship
The City Ground
Referee: Mr E Ilderton
Kick-off: 19:45
Nottingham Forest (2nd) V Queens Park Rangers (11th)

By The Godfather

Mick Harford, in his second spell in charge of first team affairs at Queens Park Rangers, got off to a decent start by grinding out a draw at play-off challengers, Blackpool. Without doubt, the star of the show was Matthew Connolly, who scored an absolute wonder-goal in the second half, chesting the ball down and volleying past the 'keeper from 25 yards out. Surely the former Arsenal defender has to keep his place in the side for Tuesday night's daunting trip to automatic promotion contenders, Nottingham Forest.

As well as the opportunity to observe how former Loftus Road favourites, Lee Camp and Dexter Blackstock, are faring at Nottingham Forest, it is likely that QPR travelling supporters will also be able to see new signing, Nigel Quashie, in action. I have to say I do have concerns about the 31 year-old's match-fitness, but hopefully he will give Harford's men some much-needed leadership in the heart of midfield.

Nottingham Forest

Manager: Billy Davies

2008-09 season finish: 19th position.

Forest's impressive summer spending spree saw them nicknamed, "the Real Madrid of the Championship". Their transfer dealings have certainly paid off. At the moment, it would appear that everything is going according to plan at the City Ground. With 49 points from 26 matches, the club currently sits in second place in the league table. And, with a talented manager at the helm, I would not be surprised to see the Reds finish inside the play-off positions at least.

Nottingham Forest have not lost a home match in the Championship since September, and Davies will certainly be feeling confident about Tuesday night's fixture against a Queens Park Rangers team that has won only one game in nearly three months.

Men to watch

It only seems fitting to begin the "men to watch" section with Dexter Blackstock, who, of course, joined Nottingham Forest during the summer from Queens Park Rangers. Blackstock is someone who very much divided the QPR fanbase. I admit to not being his greatest fan, but there can be no denying the fact that he did net goals for the Super Hoops. The 23 year-old is Forest's joint top scorer this season, with eight goals to his name in all competitions.

It will also be interesting to see how former QPR goalkeeper, Lee Camp, fares on Tuesday night. From having watched the Football League Show highlights of Forest's victory over Reading a couple of weeks ago, it would appear that the 25 year-old is enjoying life at the City Ground (he made two excellent saves from close-range efforts). Camp, as he showed during his spell with Rangers, is a very talented shot-stopper. However, I sometimes felt that he was vulnerable when dealing with crosses.

Experienced goalscorer, Robert Earnshaw, is likely to partner Blackstock in attack on Tuesday night. The 28 year-old started his career at Cardiff City, where he netted an impressive total of 86 goals in 178 appearances. He then moved to West Brom in 2004, but failed to regain his top form. A successful spell at Norwich City followed, before Derby County purchased him in 2007. Injuries hampered his brief period with the Rams, and he signed for Forest during the summer of 2008. Like Blackstock, the Welsh international has notched 8 goals so far this season.

Billy Davies also has strikers; David McGoldrick, Nathan Tyson and Dele Adebola, at his disposal. Whilst McGoldrick and Tyson offer the Forest attack skill and pace, Adebola provides an aerial threat (and always seems to cause QPR problems).

On the right wing, Paul Anderson is likely to retain his place in the team. The 21 year-old joined Forest from Liverpool during the summer and has since impressed the supporters with his performances. His pace, skill and crossing ability could pose a real threat on Tuesday night.

In central midfield, Rangers fans travelling to the match should expect to see Paul McKenna in action. The 32 year-old signed for Forest last summer, ending a 12-year spell playing for Preston North End, during which he had made 417 appearances. He offers the team experience and stability in the middle of the park.

Chris Cohen could partner McKenna in the heart of midfield. The 22 year-old joined the club from Yeovil Town in 2007 and has since made a profound impact at the City Ground. In fact, he was voted as the Player of the Year for the 2008/09 campaign.

Davies could also choose Radoslaw Majewski for Tuesday night's fixture. I was impressed with the Polish international's performance in the fixture at Loftus Road earlier in the campaign. The 23 year-old, who joined during the summer on a year-long loan from Polonia Warsaw, has made 19 appearances so far this season.

At the back, the experienced Wes Morgan is likely to keep his place. At the age of only 26, Morgan has already made over 260 appearances for Nottingham Forest. He could provide the QPR attackers with a stern test on Tuesday night.

In the left-back position, Nicky Shorey will probably start. The 28 year-old impressed many pundits during a successful seven year-spell with Reading, and, in 2007, he was called up to the England team twice. However, since his move to Aston Villa in 2008, he has struggled to break into the first team and joined Forest on loan in November.

Previous Match

August 2009 - In an entertaining encounter at Loftus Road, David McGoldrick prevented Queens Park Rangers from picking up their first win of the campaign. Mikele Leigertwood put the Rs in front with a fantastic 20-yard curling effort. However, the away side equalised when McGoldrick latched on to a flick-on and smashed the ball into the roof of the net. Heidar Helguson squandered a late opportunity, heading Akos Buzsaky's cross over the bar.

QPR Manager, Jim Magilton: "It was a wonderful strike from Mikele and after that you'd have thought we might have gone on and taken control. At half-time there was a precautionary message because we hadn't defended properly - and lo and behold a defensive lapse then led to a goal. We have to stop giving away chances, because at the moment we are being punished for it. There's a nervousness about us. I think these lads are hoping to win rather than expecting to, but it is still a work in progress."

Queens Park Rangers 1-1 Nottingham Forest

QPR Team News

Lee Cook is apparently back in full training after recovering from the knee injury that has kept him out for months. Rowan Vine is unavailable through a stomach injury, whilst Martin Rowlands and Gavin Mahon remain long-term absentees.

Prediction

Despite QPR's decent result against Blackpool, it is still going to be very difficult for Harford's men to avoid losing on Tuesday night. Forest have so much firepower up front with the likes of Blackstock, Earnshaw, McGoldrick and Tyson and I fear that the Rs' dodgy defence will not be able to cope. Unfortunately, I'm going to predict a home victory on this occasion. I hope I'm wrong.

Nottingham Forest 3-1 Queens Park Rangers