Saturday 16th January 2010
The Coca Cola Championship
Bloomfield Road Stadium
Kick-off: 15:00
Referee: T M Kettle
Blackpool (7th) V Queens Park Rangers (10th)
By The Godfather

I'm afraid to say that Queens Park Rangers have become a complete and utter laughing stock. This morning it was announced that Paul Hart has "decided to leave" the club after only five matches in charge.

I must admit, the former Portsmouth boss' team selections and tactical decisions didn't exactly impress me. I felt that often he opted for overly negative strategies, making some rather bizarre substitutions in the process. However, the question is whether this was the reason behind Hart's departure. Was it the result of "player power", as some media outlets have suggested? Or was it because he wanted to bring in six new players, whereas the Board wanted stability (as "The Sun" has speculated)?

Mick Harford has been given control of first team affairs for the time being and his first test will be a very difficult one. On Saturday afternoon the Rs will travel to face Ian Holloway's in-form Blackpool side at Bloomfield Road. In truth, I can't see QPR picking up a decent result here...

Blackpool

Season 2008-09 finish: 16th place.

Manager: Ian Holloway

Despite many tipping them as relegation candidates during the summer, Blackpool have been arguably the surprise package of the 2009/10 campaign. Former QPR boss, Ian Holloway, has worked wonders with the Lancashire outfit, with the team currently sitting in 7th position, just two points off the top six.

The Tangerines come into this fixture on the back of two excellent results, having beaten struggling Derby County and then having drawn with automatic promotion contenders, Cardiff City. "Ollie" will be feeling confident about Saturday's match against a club rotten to the core with instability.

Men to watch

Blackpool's star player is Scottish international midfielder, Charlie Adam, who has netted 9 goals so far this season. The 24 year-old played for Rangers between 2003 and 2009, making 61 appearances and scoring 13 times. After a successful loan spell with the Seasiders during the latter half of last season, Adam signed on a permanent deal during the summer for a club-record fee of £500,000. If he continues his impressive form, the club might find it difficult to keep him at Bloomfield Road.

Holloway's main attacking threat will probably be Ben Burgess. The 28 year-old target man has made over 100 appearances for the Seasiders since joining them in 2006, notching 21 goals. Burgess will no doubt pose an aerial threat on Saturday afternoon.

The experienced Brett Ormerod is likely to partner Burgess in attack. The 33 year-old has become known as a bit of a "journeyman" over his career, having played for 8 different clubs in total. He is enjoying his second spell with Blackpool, having previously scored 46 times in 128 appearances between 1997 and 2001.

Holloway also has former R, Danny Nardiello, at his disposal. The 27 year-old has continued to suffer with injuries since leaving the Rs for Blackpool in 2007, but recently enjoyed a successful loan spell at Bury, scoring 4 goals in 6 appearances. I expect that he will be on the substitutes' bench.

On the wing, fans' favourite, Gary Taylor-Fletcher, could keep his place in the starting line-up. The 27 year-old, who can also play up front if required, enjoyed success in the lower leagues with the likes of Lincoln and Huddersfield before joining Blackpool in 2007. He has since made 93 appearances, with 15 goals to his name for the club.

In central midfield, Keith Southern is expected to start on Saturday afternoon. The 28 year-old, who started his career with Everton, has made 244 appearances for Blackpool since joining them in 2002. Southern could provide the likes of Leigertwood and Faurlin with a very stern test.

Another experienced player, Jason Euell, could be involved on Saturday afternoon. The 32 year-old has had an illustrious career, enjoying successful spells in the Premiership with Wimbledon, Charlton and Middlesbrough. Holloway secured his services from Southampton last summer and he has since been named as the club captain.

At the back, Holloway will probably select former Queens Park Rangers defender, Ian Evatt. During his time managing the Rs, "Ollie" brought the 28 year-old to Loftus Road. However, the move didn't prove to be a success, with speculation that the two may have had a dispute. Evatt joined Blackpool in 2006 and has since impressed the supporters. Under Holloway's leadership, he has continued his fine performances.

In goal, Paul Rachubka could start. The former Manchester United 'keeper joined Blackpool in 2007 from Huddersfield Town. The 28 year-old has since made over 100 appearances for the Tangerines, impressing the supporters with his shot-stopping abilities.

Previous Match

August 2009 - It was a travesty that Queens Park Rangers had to rely on a fluke goal from Peter Ramage to draw this match against Blackpool. In truth, the Rs had completely dominated the encounter, forcing chance after chance after chance. Ben Burgess put the away side ahead against the run of play, slotting home from Gary Taylor-Fletcher's pass. Rangers pushed for the equaliser after that, and eventually got it when Peter Ramage's cross somehow ended up in the back of the net. This was a case of two points dropped rather than one gained.

QPR Manager, Jim Magilton: "It's a mixture of feeling relieved and also disappointed that we didn't win the game. We created chances in the first half and then shot ourselves in the foot with the goal we conceded. It was tough, because when you come up against Ian Holloway's team you expect them to keep going and be dogged and determined. In the end, it was a good point for us. It was important that we got something from the game and I think we deserved to."

Queens Park Rangers 1-1 Blackpool

QPR Team News

Rowan Vine will miss this fixture through a hernia operation. Lee Cook is back in training after suffering from knee problems, but will probably not feature in Saturday's match. Meanwhile, Martin Rowlands, Gavin Mahon and Gareth Ainsworth remain long-term absentees.

Prediction

I'm not confident about this fixture at all. Blackpool are enjoying their best season in years and have some very dangerous players at their disposal. I am very concerned that the Rs' defence will not be able to cope (the team has now gone 15 games without keeping a clean sheet). Therefore, I'm afraid I'm going to have to predict a home victory here.

Blackpool 2-0 Queens Park Rangers