Tuesday 12th January 2010
The FA Cup Third Round Replay
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: Mr A Woolmer
Kick-off: 19:45
Queens Park Rangers V Sheffield United
By The Godfather

This is the third time I have had to write a match preview for this fixture this season and, I have to say, I'm not particularly looking forward to the game. The last few meetings between the sides have produced very boring matches, with Sheffield United seemingly content to sit back and hoof the ball up the pitch. Still, it would be nice for the Rs to finally pick up a victory in the FA Cup, even though the winners will have to face Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium in the Fourth Round (let's face it, a horrible tie).

Sheffield United

Season 2008-09 finish: 3rd place.

Manager: Kevin Blackwell

As we have seen over the last few weeks, Sheffield United favour a very direct and unattractive style of football. However, there is no doubt that in a league like the Championship, brawn and aggression can reap a lot of success. Last season, for instance, Kevin Blackwell and his team narrowly missed out on automatic promotion, eventually being defeated by Burnley in the play-off final.

The 2009/10 campaign, however, did not start particularly well for Blackwell's men. Despite a hard-fought victory in September's Sheffield derby, an eight-game winless run saw the Blades sink into mid-table mediocrity. However, things have improved recently, a recent run of form propelling the club back into the play-off battle, with the team now sitting in 8th position.

United's squad is packed full of players proven at this level and, as a result, the fans will be expecting the team to embark upon a good run in the FA Cup. Kevin Blackwell will be viewing this as an important fixture.

Men to watch

With top scorer, Darius Henderson, likely to miss out through injury, Ched Evans could be given a place in the starting line-up. The 20 year-old striker, who has been repeatedly linked with a move to QPR in the past, joined the Blades from Manchester City for £3 million last summer. He has made 11 appearances for the Welsh national team. However, despite his undoubted talent and potential, Evans has only netted three goals so far this season.

Experienced centre-forward, Richard Cresswell, could partner Evans in attack. The 32 year-old enjoyed successful spells with York City, Preston and Leeds before signing for Stoke in 2007. After the Potters' promotion to the Premiership, Cresswell struggled to break into the first team. As a consequence, he signed for United on an initial three-month loan in September, but has now joined on a permanent deal after impressing both the manager and the supporters. Cresswell is a proven goalscorer at Championship level and must be marked closely. Having already netted against QPR twice this season, he will be feeling confident about the cup replay.

United also have talented forward, Jamie Ward. The 23 year-old first gained a reputation at Chesterfield, where he scored 29 goals in a two-year spell. This impressive total attracted the interest of the Blades, who purchased him for £330,000 last January. The Northern Ireland U-21 international could pose a threat on Tuesday night.

In midfield, Stephen Quinn is expected to keep his place. The 23 year-old joined the Blades from Partick Thistle in 2005 and has since made 97 appearances for the club. The Irishman is a favourite with the fans, having picked up the Young Player of the Year award in 2008. He could play a key role in United's 2009/10 campaign.

Lee Williamson could play alongside Quinn in midfield. The 27 year-old is a player who always seems to perform well against Queens Park Rangers (you may remember him netting against the Rs in Watford's 3-0 victory at Vicarage Road last season and then sending a free-kick crashing against the bar in the return fixture). Williamson joined the Blades last summer for an undisclosed fee.

Kevin Blackwell also has experienced central midfielder, James Harper, at his disposal. The 29 year-old joined the Blades on a season-long loan from Reading (where he has made over 300 appearances). Harper is a product of Arsenal's youth academy and could provide the likes of Leigertwood and Faurlin with a stern test if he plays.

At the back, Chris Morgan could start. The 32 year-old has a reputation for throwing his elbows about, having fractured Iain Hume's skull last season. Fortunately, the Canadian went on to make a full recovery. Morgan, who has made 224 appearances for Sheffield United since signing for them in 2003, holds the record for the club's most red-carded player.

With Paddy Kenny banned for 9 months for failing a drugs test, goalkeeper, Mark Bunn, will probably keep his place. The 25 year-old signed for Sheffield United from Blackburn Rovers on a six-month loan deal in August.

Previous Match

January 2010 - In a dire match at Bramall Lane, Queens Park Rangers threw away the opportunity to win their first FA Cup match in nearly ten years by conceding a soft equaliser just before half time. Simpson had put Rangers ahead in the first half, converting Wayne Routledge's cross, but Cresswell capitalised upon a defensive error to level the scoreline. The best chance of the second half fell to United, when Ched Evans smashed a free-kick against the underside of the crossbar. Neither team were able to get the winner, taking the tie to a replay at Loftus Road.

QPR Manager, Paul Hart: "We're in the hat after coming to a ground where many Premier League sides have floundered in the past. But I'm slightly disappointed not to win it. At half-time, the players were saying that the ball went out of play before the corner was awarded for their goal. But, after that, closing down the cross was not there and the header was disappointing. It wasn't always pretty but I don't think FA Cup matches necessarily should be. They should be a fight and we showed plenty of fight today. We set up to be difficult to beat and we achieved that to some extent. But we withstood Sheffield United's pressure early in the second half and kept strong."

Sheffield United 1-1 Queens Park Rangers

QPR Team News

This week I did read on the message board that Lee Cook might be handed a place on the bench after recovering from his serious knee problems. Adel Taraabt missed the match at Bramall Lane through an injury, but should be back in contention for a starting place. Rowan Vine, however, will be unavailable. Meanwhile, Heidar Helguson has returned to Watford where he is expected to spend the rest of the season. New goalkeeper, Carl Ikeme, is ineligible for this fixture, whilst Gareth Ainsworth, Martin Rowlands and Gavin Mahon remain long-term absentees.

Prediction

I expect this to be a very even encounter, with chances few and far between. Like the previous matches between these two sides, I can see it being a draw, possibly going to a penalty shoot-out. If that happens, then I can see the Rs struggling with the lack of quality strikers they have. I hope I'm wrong, I really do...

0-0 draw, Sheff Utd to win on penalties.