My analysis of the team and where the Rs need to strengthen
By The Godfather

Goalkeeper - As I'm writing this article, it has just been announced that Carl Ikeme has joined Rangers on a one-month loan deal from Wolves, presumably as back-up for first-choice goalkeeper, Radek Cerny. Now, I'll be honest, I've never heard of this guy, and, frankly, I doubt we will see him play, unless the Czech picks up an injury.

In my view, ever since that bizarre error in the home match against Leicester City, Cerny has been lacking confidence. There is no doubt that he remains an excellent shot-stopper, but he seems to struggle to deal with crosses, often resorting to punching the ball when it would be far easier to catch it.

In fairness, it can't be easy having to work with a nervous, unsettled back four. Last season, behind a far more robust central defensive partnership, Cerny impressed on numerous occasions, eventually being announced as the joint winner of the golden glove award for clean sheets.

Currently, despite some unremarkable performances, I don't see the goalkeeping department as a major problem. Obviously a reserve will have to be signed on a permanent deal at some point, but the truth is that there is a strong link between the quality of a keeper's displays and that of the defence. And, at the moment, it is the back four that is more of a concern.

The defence - I listened to the BBC London commentary of the Sheffield United FA Cup game and, I have to say, it didn't make for a pleasant afternoon (I can imagine what a horrible experience it was for the supporters who made the effort to travel to the match). At times, the defending was described as "pantomime-esque", with Rangers throwing away a one-goal lead seconds before the half-time whistle.

At the moment, Kaspars Gorkss seems to be the only defender going through a decent run of form. Damion Stewart appears to be lacking match fitness and has looked nervous recently, a shadow of the defender who lifted the Player of the Year award last year.

The problem has its roots in Jim Magilton's bizarre decision to change the central defensive partnership for the Coventry game in November, choosing to select Fitz Hall in his starting line-up. Recently, "sirpiechucker" pointed out in another of his excellent "stat posts" that Rangers concede more goals when "One Size" is handed a place in the team. So, it was difficult to see the logic behind the Ulsterman's choice.

In my opinion, this was a crucial mistake. It unsettled the back four at an important point in the campaign. In previous seasons, we have seen how QPR often struggle over the November/December period and it was important that the defence remained solid, a legacy of Paulo Sousa. Love him or loathe him, there is no doubt that the Portuguese improved the Super Hoops defensively during his brief period in charge.

Moving on from the central defence, the fullback positions are also looking vulnerable. As much as I appreciate Peter Ramage's work-rate, I'm sad to say that I don't think he possesses the necessary attributes to succeed at this level. Borrowdale has proved himself to be solid defensively, but he offers very little in terms of an attacking threat. I do hope that Hart bolsters this area during the transfer window.

In order to achieve success in the Championship, a solid defence that performs consistently is absolutely vital. The manager must address this issue if the Rs are to challenge for a play-off spot.

The midfield - This is arguably the strongest area of the team. The sad thing is that Hart would have an even wider range of attributes to choose from had Gavin Mahon and Martin Rowlands not picked up such serious injuries.

For me, the most promising midfielder is Alejandro Faurlin, who has come on leaps and bounds since signing for the Rs during the summer. I have to say I was slightly concerned when Hart chose to drop the Argentinean to the bench for his first couple of matches in charge. Faurlin offers the team creativity in the middle of the park and his distribution, on the most part, is excellent. He should be a first team regular.

Then there is Mikele Leigertwood, who was recently rewarded with a bumper new contract despite an unremarkable start to the season. In fairness, since then, the former Crystal Palace man has become more consistent in his performances, playing an important part in the victory over Bristol City, for example. At times, however, he can be guilty of giving away possession far too frequently.

In my view, Akos Buzsaky has struggled since the whole "Headbuttgate" saga. The fact that the manager seems unsure as to his correct position hasn't helped. Is he a winger, a central midfielder, or should he be given a "free role" behind the striker(s)? There is no doubt that the Hungarian is a potential match-winner on his day, but if his recent performances continue, he might struggle to keep his place in the team. Hogan Ephraim, meanwhile, might make a return to first team affairs after a brief spell with Leeds. Although Hogan is another player who produces hard-working displays, there is often very little end product.

Wayne Routledge has arguably been QPR's Player of the Season so far. His raw pace and energy will always cause opponents problems. However, I can't help thinking that the diminutive winger could show a little more aggression when trying to win the ball back. It's also important that he is played in his correct position on the right flank.

And, of course, I mustn't forget Adel Taraabt. I've placed him in the midfield section, but, in truth, I'm not quite sure of his natural position. Whenever I see the Moroccan, he seems to be operating in a kind of "free role". His skill on the ball is a joy to watch. However, at times, it seems that he is playing for himself rather than the team, something that he must eradicate from his game if he is to achieve at the very top level. He needs to know when to pass.

So, to summarise, although another holding player is required, the midfield is packed full of skill, flair and creativity. The trouble is that only one man, Jay Simpson, can convert the chances that Rangers carve out...

The strikers - Jay Simpson is a classic example of a goal-poacher. Although he has the tendency to drift in and out of matches, he's usually in the right place at the right time and is on track for 15-20 goals this season.

What Simpson really needs is an experienced, proven goalscorer alongside him. Without wishing to be cruel, the fact of the matter is that the likes of Agyemang, Pellicori and Vine (post-injury) are not good enough to carry out this role effectively. Perhaps Helguson could be given a chance to impress after his loan spell at Watford.

As I'm typing this article, I'm hearing reports of a possible move for Hull City striker, Daniel Cousins. A possible loan signing, I must add. The 32 year-old enjoyed most success during spells with Le Mans, Lens and Glasgow Rangers, but has only netted four times in thirty-three appearances for the Tigers.

Perhaps Cousins will prove to be the striker Rangers so desperately need. I do hope so. However, I can't help thinking that the Super Hoops would be better off actually trying to buy a quality goalscorer, instead of relying on loanees.

Too many loan signings

Loans, loans and more loans. That's the story of QPR's transfer policy ever since the Formula One magnates took control of the club.

When they're used effectively, loan signings can really make a difference. For instance, think back to the 2007/08 campaign, when Frazier Campbell fired Hull City to success in the play-offs.

But Queens Park Rangers are using the loan option excessively. This season alone has seen Taraabt, Simpson, Williams, Watson, Reid and Taylor come in on temporary deals. I would argue that four of those six signings have not been fruitful.

The truth is that too many loanees unsettle the squad and damage team spirit. It can be especially troublesome when there is a clause in the deal that requires the footballer to play every week, particularly if they are producing lacklustre performances.

So...the signings we need

A centre back
A full-back
A central defensive midfielder
An exprienced goalscorer.