Monday 14th December 2009
The Coca Cola Championship
The Hawthorns Stadium
Referee: A Taylor
Kick-off: 19:45
West Bromwich Albion (2nd) V Queens Park Rangers (14th)

By The Godfather

Think back to the 2007/08 season. John Gregory's beleagured QPR side were absolutely thrashed by automatic promotion contenders, West Brom. The next day, Gregory was sacked, leaving the club lying at the bottom of the Championship table.

Once again, Queens Park Rangers will travel to the Hawthorns as a club very much in turmoil. After allegedly headbutting a player, Jim Magilton has been suspended pending an internal investigation. With Assistant Boss, John Gorman, refusing to work until the manager is reinstated, first team duties have been left to Youth Team Coaches, Steve Gallen and Marc Bircham. They now face the daunting prospect of managing the Rs against promotion favourites, West Bromwich Albion.

West Bromwich Albion

Season 2008-09 finish: 20th place (Premier League).

Manager: Roberto Di Matteo

This is possibly the worst fixture that Queens Park Rangers could face under the current circumstances. QPR's defence, which has conceded eight goals in the last two matches, will come up against the highest scoring team in the division on Monday night. Worrying to say the very least.

The Baggies lie in second place in the league table, having taken 38 points from a possible 60. However, a defeat against Cardiff City last Tuesday has allowed the chasing pack to reduce the gap. West Brom will be without goalkeeper, Scott Carson, who was sent off in that game for a headbutt of his own. Despite Carson's absence, Di Matteo will be expecting his team to get back to winning ways on Monday night.

Men to watch

Di Matteo's star player is winger, Chris Brunt, who is the club's joint top scorer so far this season with six goals. The 24 year-old offers the team pace, skill and creativity in midfield. The Northern Irish international joined the Baggies in 2007 after a successful three-year spell with Sheffield Wednesday. He has since made 81 starts for West Brom.

West Brom's main attacking threat is Simon Cox, who was repeatedly linked with a move to Queens Park Rangers last summer. The 22 year-old first made his name with Swindon Town, where he scored 29 league goals last season. This impressive record earned him a £1.5 million transfer to the Hawthorns in July. He has since netted six times for the club.

Roman Bednar is likely to partner Cox in attack. The 26 year-old joined the Baggies in 2007 on loan from Hearts and made a massive contribution to West Brom's promotion campaign, finishing the season with 17 goals from 22 starts. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to make such an impact in the Premiership, but he will be hoping to regain his goalscoring form, having already netted five times in 2009/10. He is a Czech Republic international striker and will certainly pose a threat on Monday night.

In central midfield, Graham Dorrans could be handed a place in the starting line-up. The 22 year-old, who can also play as a striker, joined the Baggies from Livingston for £200,000. His impressive performances have earned him two call-ups to the Scottish national team.

Youssuf Mulumbu could play alongside Dorrans in central midfield. The former Paris St Germain man signed for West Brom earlier this year and has since made 17 starts. The 22 year-old has earned himself 8 call-ups to the DR Congo team, but recently decided to quit international football. Mulumbu will provide the likes of Watson and Faurlin with a stern test.

In the heart of defence, Abdoulaye Meite is likely to start. The 29 year-old signed for West Brom in a £2 million deal in 2008. Unfortunately, he spent much of last season out injured, but has established himself as a first team regular so far this campaign. The Ivory Coast international lists Red Star 93, Marseille and Bolton Wanderers among his former clubs.

In goal, with Carson suspended, expect experienced 'keeper, Dean Kiely, to start. The 39 year-old has enjoyed a successful career, having played for York City, Bury, Charlton and Portsmouth before signing for West Brom, earning 11 caps for Ireland in the process.

Previous Match

May 2008 - West Brom secured the Championship title with a comfortable victory over Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road. The Rs started the match strongly, but struggled to cope after Martin Rowlands was harshly sent off for a challenge on Jonathan Greening. Kim headed in Gera's cross eight minutes after the break, before Brunt sealed the win with a superb free-kick.

QPR Manager, Luigi De Canio: "We prepared ourselves for a great game so that we could celebrate the end of our season but I believe the referee ruined the whole game. He offended me, he offended the fans and he offended my players. I didn't think it was a red card but I'd like to say well done to West Brom, who are worthy champions."

Queens Park Rangers 0-2 West Brom

Team News

It will be interesting to see whether Akos Buzsaky keeps his place, after allegedly being headbutted by Jim Magilton. Angelo Balanta is back in full training, but Matthew Connolly may miss out through a pelvic injury. Martin Rowlands, Gavin Mahon and Lee Cook remain long-term absentees.

Prediction

Queens Park Rangers are very much the underdogs. It's going to be incredibly difficult against a team like West Brom - they have so many attacking threats. Do Steve Gallen and Marc Bircham really have the experience to motivate the team to produce an improved performance?

As I said in my "headbuttgate" article, if the players want Magilton out, will they not be eager to pick up a good result in order to demonstrate that the Ulsterman is not needed at the club?

However, I am going to predict a home victory for this one. I just don't see how the Rs' dodgy defence is going to be able to deal with the likes of Bednar, Cox and Brunt. I hope I'm wrong.

West Brom 3-1 Queens Park Rangers