I have decided to publish my views of the 2009-10 season in 10 game chunks based on strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Part One is on my blog. Please consider that these views are formed over a 10 game period and not written in anger after last night's debacle.

Here is my view on the second 10 games of the season.

STRENGTHS.

Abundance of midfield talent. Tarrabt in particular is able to produce moments of sheer genius at times, but can be frustrating (see weaknesses.) Buzacky has also returned to somewhere near his best form.
Faurlin never gives the ball away.
Watson works hard.
Positive feel around LR and the belief returned for a while, especially after the Derby game, 12 goals in 3 games.
Simpson continues to score.
Magilton is 100% honest. I tend to agree with every one of his post match comments. Not sure the players like being told though.
Some fantastic football was played against Reading/Derby/Coventry/Preston

WEAKNESSES

The big one for me is that we seem unable to vary the way we play. There are times in the Championship (many of them in fact) where you have to battle and grind out a result. We are not capable of doing that. We like to play, pass, pass, pass and sometimes you have to be able to get the opposition turned by using the long ball forward and getting it in the box. When playing Watford on a cold, blustery night on a bog of a pitch, 5 yard pass and move not the best option.
We are still lacking a top quality striker up front and Vine and Pat are not the answer. We need a big strong forward who is able to dominate defenders in the air and hold the ball up and create chances for our attacking midfielders.
Full backs. I think we are really poor on both sides, Ramage and Borrowdale are simply not good enough. The fact that Williams has been signed and Legs has been playing there suggest Jim agrees. Positionally both Ramage and Borrrowdale are not up to scratch and both offer nothing going forward.
The downside of Tarrabt is that he is playing for himself. This can result in moments of sheer class, think goal against Preston, but can also lead to issues within the team. As a forward you want your wide man slinging balls into the box early so you make your runs. Adel tends to dribble every-time, eventually the forwards stop making the runs.
Jim's substitutions are not great. He tends to have a formula and sticks with it regularly taking off Simpson and Tarrabt.
Having said the midfield is strong I think we are missing a defensive midfielder in the mould of Mahon. Someone who holds his position and mops up attacks. We have been far too attacking in recent games and that has left the back four exposed.

OPPORTUNITIES
In January we have a chance for the club to put its money where its mouth is. We are sick of hearing about 4 year plans and how we are going to do things slowly etc etc. This has now worn very thin. The insinuation has always been that they will splash the cash if we are within touching distance of Premier League/Play offs and I think we are. So show us the money.
I think we are genuinely 2 players away from the play-offs.

THREATS
Recent performances have been very poor and when the chips are down you want big characters within the team to pull it all back together. I don't believe that we have any which could be a problem. Rowly is one but he is missing, I think that Mahon probably is as well. We do not have a natural captain.
If we do not make a couple of decent signings in January we will not make the play-offs. Priority is a forward, ideally Beckford, then Right and left back and finally a holding midfielder.
Conceding too many goals.
Attitude problem within the team, possibly linked to Tarrabt, but I think we have a number of big time charlies who are great when you are winning but disappear when losing.