Monday 7th December 2009
The Coca Cola Championship
Vicarage Road Stadium
Kick-off: 19:45
Referee: A M Penn
Watford (12th) V Queens Park Rangers (9th)
By The Godfather

I've been trying to forget about Saturday afternoon's shocking display. However, the memory of watching Leroy Lita tear apart the QPR defence is simply too strong. It really was an absolutely abysmal performance from the back four (apart from perhaps Borrowdale). The Rs have got to improve - and quickly. A decent result at high-flying West Brom next week is unlikely, so it's vital that Rangers pick up three points against Watford on Monday night if they are to keep up with the other play-off challengers.

Watford

Season 2008-09 finish: 13th place.

Manager: Malky Mackay

Regular readers might remember that I predicted a relegation battle for Watford in my WATRB Championship Preview. However, under the leadership of Malky Mackay in his first managerial job, the Hornets have started the season rather well. They currently sit in 12th place in the league table. A win on Monday night could see them move into the play-off places (and above Rangers).

If only things were as stable off the pitch. On Tuesday it emerged that Chairman, Jimmy Russo, has had to loan the club's parent company £1 million in order for it to stay afloat. A statement to the Stock Exchange revealed that another £5.5 million is needed for the club to continue until June. It wasn't that long ago that QPR were the ones struggling financially, whilst Watford were securing massive TV deals playing in the Premier League.

Men to watch

Thank goodness that Heidar Helguson isn't eligible to play against QPR. Wouldn't it have been typical had the Icelandic striker scored against Rangers, the team that he played so badly for earlier in the season?

Instead, Watford will look to their star midfielder, Tom Cleverley, to capitalise upon QPR's vulnerable defence. The 20 year-old joined the Hornets on loan from Manchester United in August and has since impressed the supporters with a string of excellent displays in the middle of the park. Not only does he offer the team creativity; he is also a talented goalscorer, having netted six times already this season.

Up front, Watford's main threat will be top scorer, Danny Graham, who has 7 goals to his name so far this season. The 24 year-old started his career with Middlesbrough, but was never able to break into the first team at the Riverside Stadium. A successful move to Carlisle followed, with Graham scoring 29 goals in a two-year spell. This impressive record attracted the interest of Mackay, who signed him on a free transfer in July. He will pose a threat on Monday night.

Nathan Ellington is likely to partner Graham in attack. The 28 year-old is known for his successful period with Wigan Athletic between 2002 and 2005, during which he scored 59 goals in 134 appearances. Since then, however, he has failed to regain his goalscoring form. He joined Watford from West Brom in 2007, but spent much of last season at Derby County. He will be hoping to impress the manager in Helguson's absence on Monday night.

In central midfield, the experienced John Eustace is likely to start. The tough-tackling 30 year-old lists Coventry and Stoke among his former clubs. Expect him to give the likes of Faurlin and Watson a stern test on Monday night.

At the back, Mackay is likely to select Adrian Mariappa. A product of Watford's youth academy, the 23 year-old has made over 100 appearances since signing his first professional contract in 2005. Mariappa can play in central defence or as a right-back.

United States international defender, Jay DeMerit could play alongside Mariappa. The 29 year-old has played for the Hornets since 2004, making over 160 appearances for the club. He has 16 caps to his name for his country.

In the right-back position, Lloyd Doyley could start. The 26 year-old has played for Watford since 2001 and has made 264 appearances for the club. He has never scored a goal for the Hornets.

In goal, Scott Loach will probably keep his place. The 21 year-old is a talented shot-stopper, as he has demonstrated during loan spells with Stafford Rangers, Morecambe and Bradford City. This season he has established himself as the first-choice goalkeeper.

Previous Match

December 2008 - Paulo Sousa's Queens Park Rangers side were held by Watford at Loftus Road. Heidar Helguson somehow headed wide in the first half. In the second half, after Blackstock and Agyemang had both wasted good opportunities, Lee Williamson sent a free kick crashing against the crossbar in the 81st minute. However, neither side could make a breakthrough and the match finished 0-0.

QPR First Team Coach: "I'm a little bit disappointed with the first half. We conceded about 25 or 30 minutes to Watford. At half-time we made some adjustments and the team then began to control the game and make some chances. Sometimes a team needs that killer instinct. I made a lot of changes because we had two games in two days and I have faith in my squad."

Queens Park Rangers 0-0 Watford

League Form

Queens Park Rangers league form: DWLDL (Last match - QPR 1-5 Middlesbrough).

Watford league form: LWWLL (Last match - Newcastle 2-0 Watford).

QPR Team News

According to message board rumours, Steven Reid has returned to Blackburn after sustaining a hamstring injury. Matthew Connolly will probably be unavailable after missing the Middlesbrough match. Meanwhile, Angelo Balanta could make his return to first team action after recovering from a groin strain.

Prediction

This season, Magilton has dropped players if they have played badly. Therefore, Fitz Hall and Mikele Leigertwood's places in the side might be in danger, giving the likes of Williams, Ramage and Stewart an opportunity to regain their positions in the starting line-up.

Gtleighsrs posted on the message board today asking people to make "honest" predictions. The majority felt that a defeat was likely. And, to be honest, I'm inclined to feel the same. Is it possible to make a substantial improvement on a defensive performance within the space of a couple of days? I'm not so sure. Watford's back four have also conceded a lot of goals this season and therefore I expect this will be a high-scoring encounter. My worry is that confidence will be low among the players. For that reason, I'm afraid I'm going to predict a home victory.

Watford 2-1 Queens Park Rangers