Saturday 21st November 2009
Coca Cola Championship
Keepmoat Stadium
Referee: A Bates
Attendance: 10,821
Doncaster Rovers 2-0 Queens Park Rangers
By The Godfather

QPR starting line-up: Cerny, Reid, Connolly, Gorkss, Williams, Routledge, Leigertwood, Watson, Faurlin, Buzsaky, Simpson.

Doncaster starting line-up: Sullivan, Chambers, Hird, O'Connor, Roberts, Fortune, Oster, Gillett, Shiels, Coppinger, Sharp.

I don't wish to dwell for too long upon such a dreadful performance, so this is a shorter report than usual. Queens Park Rangers were simply not good enough this afternoon. All the creativity and skill that I've seen over the last few weeks seemed to disappear from the team's play. The distribution was sloppy, the midfield combination of Faurlin, Watson and Reid was practically non-existent and there was a real lack of cutting edge up front. Doncaster gained confidence after their first goal and eventually ran out worthy winners.

I don't usually like to single players out for bad performances in my reports, but I have to say that I was thoroughly disappointed by Steven Reid this afternoon. I'm afraid that it was one of the worst debuts I've seen for quite some time. For most of the game he seemed to be jogging aimlessly around the centre circle. It would be unfair to write him off after one match, but there is going to have to be a dramatic improvement in his displays.

Unfortunately, Ben Watson was equally poor. He was responsible for giving the ball away far too easily. In addition, there seemed to be no footballing vision in his distribution. He would only pass it side-ways or backwards - even in his own penalty area! Again, he needs to improve if he wants to retain his place in the starting line-up.

I must admit, I became concerned as soon as the starting line-up was read out. Magilton switched to a 4-5-1 formation, surprisingly choosing to drop the skilful Adel Taraabt to the bench. Simpson started alone up front, with Routledge, Watson, Faurlin, Reid and Buzsaky in midfield. Connolly returned to partner Gorkss in central defence, whilst Tommy Williams made his debut at left-back. Leigertwood took up the right-back position and Cerny kept his place in goal. I sensed that Simpson might become isolated in attack and that's precisely what happened.

The first half was dull and scrappy, with QPR moving the ball around incredibly slowly and giving it away under very little pressure. Doncaster had the two best opportunities, both of which came in the 11th minute. First, John Oster forced Cerny into an excellent save with a well-struck free-kick. The resulting corner was taken short, fooling the Super Hoops defenders, and Dean Shiels received it six yards out. Fortunately, his effort was saved by the Rangers goalkeeper.

Apart from that, there was very little in terms of chances in the first period. Perhaps QPR's best opportunity came when Routledge raced past O'Connor and smashed the ball across the face of the goal. However, on the whole, I was disappointed by Rangers' lack of creativity in the final third.

One thing I noticed was the team's reluctancy to pass the ball to new signing, Tommy Williams. Although this was far from being an excellent debut for the left-back, he was eager to get forward and on a number of occasions found himself in acres of space on the wing. Yet, Rangers simply did not make use of his pace. Surprising.

Half-time: Doncaster 0-0 QPR

The introduction of Adel Taraabt at the expense of Alejandro Faurlin did make a difference. Immediately, the Moroccan carved out the Rs' first and only clear-cut chance of the game, finding Jay Simpson in space on the edge of the area with a lovely pass. Unfortunately, the Arsenal loanee could only scuff his shot wide of Sullivan's right-hand post.

Just as it seemed that QPR were beginning to exploit the gaps in the Doncaster defence, the home side took the lead. Again, it was a short corner causing the problems, catching the Rs off-guard. Quinton Fortune received the ball inside the penalty area and crossed in for Billy Sharp, who headed into the bottom corner of the net.

Magilton responded by replacing Simpson and Buzsaky with Agyemang and Pellicori. Perhaps he felt that more of a physical presence was needed up front. Unfortunately, the decision wasn't an effective one, as Donny doubled their advantage in the 64th minute.

In truth, Rangers gifted Doncaster their second goal. This time, it was some ridiculous fancy passing across the back four that got Magilton's men into trouble. Williams lost possession inside his own half and Dean Shiels avoided several last-ditch challenges from Gorkss and Connolly to bury the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

QPR never looked like they would get back into the game. In fact, by the 85th minute, Doncaster were giving the Rs a footballing lesson, knocking the ball about neatly, with the away side struggling to even get a touch. I'm afraid that it was embarrassing stuff at this point.

Full-time: Doncaster 2-0 QPR

Conclusion

Aspects of this performance were concerning. For instance, the midfield display was simply not good enough. I felt that the team really missed the presence of Mahon, who has played such an important part in our recent run of form. Rangers needed someone capable of getting 'stuck in' and retaining possession.

I'm not sure why Taraabt was left out of the starting line-up this afternoon. The fact is that Rangers really lacked creativity in the final third of the pitch. That might have been different had the Moroccan started.

This defeat means that a victory against Coventry is crucial in order to keep the pressure on the other promotion candidates. Let's hope the Rs "bounce back".