My thoughts on the signing of Tommy Williams
By The Godfather

In August I mentioned how the arrival of John Gorman at Queens Park Rangers would have a real impact on the team’s style of play. In my view, he has played a key role in the Rs’ success so far this season.

During his spell as the manager of Wycombe Wanderers a few years ago, I was lucky enough to attend some of the matches at Adams Park (when QPR were playing away, of course!) One thing I noticed was his use of the “attacking full-back”. Whenever the Chairboys would go forward, they would make clever use of the overlapping defender.

With a full-back blessed with pace and crossing ability, this tactic can reap an abundance of success. It is no surprise, then, that this season, Gorman has sought to implement this into QPR’s style of play. Supporters will have noticed that Peter Ramage, Mikele Leigertwood and Gary Borrowdale have all been far more eager to get forward and support the winger.

However, I was not surprised to hear that the club had splashed out on a new full-back – Tommy Williams, on loan from Peterborough United. I suspect that Magilton and Gorman are looking for a wider range of attributes to pick from in those areas of the pitch. Of course, the name Williams will inevitably evoke memories of that disappointing day at the Millennium Stadium:

“Cross it! Cross it!”

That’s right, this is the same Tommy Williams who played for QPR in the 2002/03 season, failing to cross to Andy Thomson in the Play-Off Final. Of course, to the misery of all Super Hoops fans present, he opted to smash the ball into the side netting instead.

However, everyone deserves a second chance. And, I have to say, I was very impressed with Williams’ performance in the QPR V Peterborough match earlier in the campaign. He caused Rangers a lot of problems that afternoon and provided a delightful cross for Peterborough’s headed goal.

Williams will possibly provide more of an attacking threat than the likes of Peter Ramage and Gary Borrowdale. The 29 year-old is a natural left back, so I would expect him to challenge Borrowdale, with Leigertwood and Ramage fighting it out for the right back position. There is now healthy competition in those areas of the pitch, and with Matthew Connolly recovering from glandular fever, it will be interesting to see Magilton’s starting line-up come the Doncaster match on the 21st November.

On behalf of WATRB I would like to wish Tommy Williams the best of luck in his QPR career!

Tommy Williams Factfile

Williams started his career at West Ham United, but never made an appearance for the Hammers. A successful move to Peterborough followed, with Williams establishing himself as a first team regular in the 2001/02 season. His performances attracted the interest of Birmingham, who signed him in 2002. He only made 4 appearances at St Andrews, spending time out on loan with Queens Park Rangers. After leaving City in 2004, he enjoyed brief spells with Peterborough (again), Barnsley, Gillingham, Swansea and Wycombe, before joining the Posh for a third time on a permanent deal in 2008. The 29 year-old has since made 36 starts for Darren Ferguson’s team.