Saturday 7th November 2009
The Coca-Cola Championship
Hillsborough Stadium
Kick-off: 15:00
Referee: N S Miller
Sheffield Wednesday (14th) V Queens Park Rangers (6th)
By The Godfather

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attend Tuesday night’s fixture against Crystal Palace (and therefore couldn’t provide a match report). However, from what I have read on the various message boards, Queens Park Rangers should have won comfortably. Hopefully, the Rs will convert more of the opportunities they create when they come up against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday afternoon.

Sheffield Wednesday

Season 2008-09 finish: 12th place.

Manager: Brian Laws

It looks like the 2009/10 campaign might follow a similar pattern to that of last season for Sheffield Wednesday. Inconsistency has meant that Brian Laws’ side has sunk into mid-table mediocrity. At the time of writing, they lie in 14th position in the league table (which could change before Saturday afternoon, with Derby and Coventry set to play each other on Friday night). Like their fierce rivals, Sheffield United, the Owls have taken seventeen points out of a possible forty-five. After picking up a draw at Bristol City, Laws will be confident that his team can beat Queens Park Rangers.

Men to watch

Sheffield Wednesday’s main attacking threat will be former Derby County man and current top scorer, Marcus Tudgay, who has already netted 6 goals this season. The 26 year-old striker is someone who I rate very highly: strong, good in the air and clinical inside the penalty area. I do hope that Magilton has identified this threat.

Luke Varney could start alongside Tudgay up front. The 27 year-old enjoyed spells at Crewe Alexandra and Charlton Athletic, before signing for Derby County in 2008. However, the striker has struggled to force his way into the first team at Pride Park and joined Wednesday on a four-month loan deal during the summer. After scoring at Bristol City last week, Varney will be feeling confident.

On the right wing, Etienne Esajas could be handed a place in the team. A player with immense talent, the 24 year-old signed for the Owls in 2007 from Dutch side, Vitesse. Injuries have hampered his time at Hillsborough, but when he has been fit he has impressed the supporters with his pace, skill, distribution and set-piece abilities.

29 year-old Jermaine Johnson, who has been linked with a move to Loftus Road in the past, could play on the other wing. The former Bradford City man’s pace makes him a real asset to Sheffield Wednesday. He has 83 international caps for Jamaica to his name.

In central midfield, Brian Laws could select James O’Connor in his starting line-up. After enjoying a seven-year period (1996-2003) with Stoke City, the Irishman moved to West Brom. He wasn’t able to establish himself as a first team regular at the Hawthorns and signed for Burnley in 2004. After five successful years at Turf Moor, the 30 year-old joined Sheffield Wednesday in 2008. O’Connor offers experience and leadership qualities to the Owls.

At the back, Darren Purse is likely to return to the team. Purse was once an excellent defender at this level, playing for Oxford United, Birmingham City, West Brom and Cardiff, before making the move to Hillsborough during the summer. However, at the age of 32, perhaps the Queens Park Rangers forwards can expose his lack of pace.

Previous Match

April 2009 – Queens Park Rangers dominated this match from start to finish, but had to come from two goals behind to beat Sheffield Wednesday at Loftus Road. After Jordi Lopez, Wayne Routledge and Heidar Helguson had missed golden opportunities, Wednesday took the lead through an unfortunate Gavin Mahon own-goal. Marcus Tudgay doubled the advantage from the penalty spot after the break. Rowan Vine pulled one back for the home side, before Mahon made up for his earlier error to head in the equaliser. Damion Stewart netted the winner in the closing stages of the match.

QPR Caretaker Manager, Gareth Ainsworth: “It was down to a fantastic bunch of lads in the dressing room. We dominated the first half and could have been three or four up. All the raised voices at half-time came from Sheffield Wednesday's dressing room. We kept calm, knew we were doing the right things and, although I had a little flutter at 2-0 down, I still had faith”.

Queens Park Rangers 3-2 Sheffield Wednesday

QPR Team News

Gavin Mahon and Damion Stewart are both back in the squad after returning from the injuries they sustained last week. Matthew Connolly is still suffering from glandular fever. Angelo Balanta is doubtful, whilst Martin Rowlands and Lee Cook remain long-term absentees.

For Sheffield Wednesday, Darren Purse, Mark Beevers, Sean McAllister, Akpo Sodje and Etienne Esajas have all recovered from a virus and will be in contention for a starting place.

Prediction

Queens Park Rangers have not enjoyed much success at Hillsborough since securing promotion to the Championship in 2004. However, with the team lying in 6th place in the league table and with the likes of Taraabt, Routledge and Buzsaky creating so many clear-cut opportunities, the Rs will fancy their chances. It is also important to note that Sheffield Wednesday’s pitch is larger than most in this division – this could play to the Super Hoops’ advantage. I’m cautiously optimistic about this fixture – I’ll predict a QPR victory.

Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Queens Park Rangers