Tuesday 3rd November 2009
The Coca Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Kick-off: 20:00
Referee: M P Russell
Queens Park Rangers (10th) V Crystal Palace (13th)
By The Godfather

After a disappointing result against Leicester City on Friday night, Queens Park Rangers have an excellent opportunity to “bounce back” when they face Crystal Palace on Tuesday night in their game-in-hand. A victory in this London derby could propel Magilton’s men into 5th position in the league table.

Crystal Palace

Over the years, Neil Warnock has developed a trademark of a very physical, aggressive style of football. I will admit to not being his greatest fan. In the past, however, there can be no disputing the fact that his tactics have reaped some success in this division, particularly when he guided Sheffield United to promotion a few years ago. Furthermore, in his first season with the Eagles, he achieved a top-six finish, only narrowly missing out on a place in the play-off final.

However, Palace’s start to the 2009/10 campaign has been somewhat mediocre. The team has struggled to achieve consistency, taking 18 points from a possible 42 and sitting in 13th position in the league table. They have not won any of their last five Championship matches. If Warnock wants his side to challenge for the play-offs, then a victory over Queens Park Rangers is vital.

Men to watch

Crystal Palace’s star man is 25 year-old Darren Ambrose, who is this season’s top scorer so far with 8 goals to his name. The talented midfielder has enjoyed spells at Ipswich Town, Newcastle United and Charlton Athletic, gaining a lot of Premiership experience in the process. Ambrose could cause problems for the Super Hoops on Tuesday night.

Alan Lee will be Palace’s main attacking threat. The 31 year-old has bags of experience in the Football League Championship, having spent two successful seasons with Ipswich Town under Jim Magilton. Lee’s skill and goalscoring instinct could pose a threat to the Queens Park Rangers defence on Tuesday evening.

Sean Scannell could partner Lee up front. At the age of 19, he has already made 57 appearances for the Eagles. Scannell offers pace and skill to the Palace frontline and must be marked closely by the Queens Park Rangers defenders.

Neil Warnock could also select Victor Moses in his starting line-up. The 18 year-old, who has already made 50 appearances for the Eagles, has represented England at Under 16, Under 17, Under 18 and Under 19 level. The pacey winger could give the Rs’ fullbacks a stern test on Tuesday evening. Let’s hope that Magilton has identified this threat.

In the middle of the park, expect to see Shaun Derry handed a place in the team. The no-nonsense central midfielder lists Sheffield United, Portsmouth and Leeds among his former clubs. He is enjoying his second spell with Palace, having made over 150 appearances for the Eagles in total. The 31 year-old could give the likes of Buzsaky and Watson a difficult time in the heart of midfield.

Neil Danns will probably play alongside Derry in central midfield. The 26 year-old is another member of the Palace squad who possesses a lot of Championship experience. He had spells with Blackburn, Colchester and Birmingham, before signing for the Eagles in January 2008.

At the back, Jose Fonte is likely to play. The Portuguese central defender signed for Palace in 2008 and has since impressed the supporters with his performances, earning himself a regular place in the starting line-up. The 25 year-old lists Sporting Lisbon and Benfica among his former clubs.

Warnock could also select full-back, Nathaniel Clyne, in his starting line-up. The 18 year-old has already made nearly 30 appearances for the Eagles. His pace and skill on the ball makes him a real asset to Crystal Palace.

In goal, Julian Speroni should keep his place. The Argentinean is a goalkeeper I rate very highly indeed and, frustratingly, always seems to be on top form whenever he comes up against QPR. The 30 year-old has made over 100 appearances since joining the club in 2004 from Dundee.

Previous Match

April 2009 – In his final game in charge of the Super Hoops, Paulo Sousa was sent from the touchline by the referee as Queens Park Rangers were held to a 0-0 draw by an incredibly physical Crystal Palace team. During a dull first half, Sousa was sent to the stands after complaining about a kung-fu style kick on Samuel Di Carmine. After the break, Taraabt had the best opportunity to score, but squandered the chance from close range. Moses also had a long shot well saved by Radek Cerny. In the end, the two sides had to settle for a point to show for their efforts.

QPR First Team Coach, Paulo Sousa: “I can't understand it when a manager is sent off for looking out for his player. I care about my players and I went to see him, and I am sent to the stands. I said nothing to the referee, I was going to see my player. I think it was because I went out of my area.”

Queens Park Rangers 0-0 Crystal Palace

Team News

Ben Watson will return to the squad after serving his two-match suspension. Gavin Mahon picked up a groin injury in training last week and is doubtful for this fixture. Hogan Ephraim is making progress after a keyhole operation on his ankle. Angelo Balanta, Martin Rowlands, Lee Cook and Matthew Connolly remain long-term absentees.

For Crystal Palace, central defender, Patrick McCarthy will be unavailable for this fixture through a serious shoulder injury.

Prediction

It will be interesting to see how Ben Watson, Mikele Leigertwood and Wayne Routledge fare against their former club. This could work to our advantage, as I suspect that they will be really “up” for this match.

Last season, this fixture produced two very dull encounters, both of which finished in draws. However, despite Palace’s brawn and aggression, I think that Queens Park Rangers will come out on top – providing that they keep the ball better than they did last Friday night.

Queens Park Rangers 2-0 Crystal Palace