Friday 30th October 2009
The Coca Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Attendance: 17082
Referee: J Moss
Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Leicester City
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers starting line-up: Cerny, Ramage, Stewart, Leigertwood, Routledge, Buzsaky, Gorkss, Faurlin, Simpson, Borrowdale, Taraabt.

Leicester City starting line-up: Weale, Neilson, Brown, Oakley, King, Fryatt, Berner, N’Guessan, Waghorn, Wellens, Hobbs.

Radek Cerny is a very talented goalkeeper. Make no mistake about that. Over the last year or so I have been impressed by his shot-stopping abilities, his commanding of the penalty area and, on the most part, his distribution. However, this was a night to forget for the Czech. What really annoyed me wasn’t that he gifted the winning goal to Leicester with a dreadful goal kick – after all, mistakes do happen. It was the fact that a short time after that disaster; he took a completely unnecessary risk by attempting to beat a City striker on the edge of his own box. It was clear that he was trying to prove a point to the away fans in the lower School End, who had been goading him for much of the second half. Although the Rangers keeper kept the ball and cleared it, I couldn’t help thinking that this was a thoroughly unprofessional thing to do in light of his earlier error.

However, it would be unfair to blame the defeat entirely on Cerny. Although Rangers produced some nice football at times and could have nicked a point, Leicester City were the better team and probably deserved their victory. Several players, Faurlin in particular, were guilty of giving possession away far too easily. In addition, Peter Ramage struggled to cope with the blistering pace of N’Guessan on the right flank. Matty Fryatt also caused so many problems with his raw energy and brute strength, netting both of his side’s goals – he looks like a striker on top, top form.

Magilton was forced to make one change to the side that beat Derby County last Saturday. Gavin Mahon had picked up a minor injury in training and had to be replaced by Mikele Leigertwood in central midfield, who also took up the captain’s armband. Rangers missed the presence of Mahon. They looked considerably weaker in the middle of the park.

The match started in an entertaining fashion, with opportunities falling to both teams. In the 9th minute, Adel Taraabt skilfully skipped past three players as he progressed into the penalty area, but he was tackled just as he was about to pull the trigger. At the other end, a mistake from Stewart allowed Waghorn to run into the box, but Radek Cerny saved his shot comfortably.

Matty Fryatt was at the centre of the action in the 14th minute, beating Borrowdale on the right flank with a burst of pace and running into the penalty area. Fortunately, before he could take the ball past Cerny, Kaspars Gorkss managed to clear it to safety.

In the 15th minute, the ball ended up in Cerny’s net. Waghorn drilled a cross into the penalty area, which was converted by N’Guessan. Fortunately, the French winger was adjudged to have been offside.

Fryatt was involved once again in Leicester’s next opportunity. In the 17th minute, a fine pass from midfield allowed the striker to dribble into the penalty area. To my relief, Cerny was able to tip Fryatt’s powerful shot over the crossbar.

After that spell of intense Leicester pressure, Queens Park Rangers finally responded. First, in the 22nd minute, Taraabt curled a shot just wide from 25 yards out. Then, Faurlin’s ambitious free-kick forced Weale into a dramatic save, the Foxes goalkeeper having to push the ball over the crossbar.

The Super Hoops were now keeping the ball better, making clever use of the pace of Taraabt and Routledge. And, in the 32nd minute, Magilton’s men were rewarded. A superb one-two between Taraabt and Simpson allowed the former to run through on goal. The skilful Morroccan tucked the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Leicester’s response was nothing short of terrific. Five minutes later, they equalised in style. N’Guessan beat Ramage with ease on City’s left flank and he produced a wonderful curling cross to find the unmarked Matty Fryatt in the penalty area. The striker coolly headed into the back of the net.

Half-time: Queens Park Rangers 1-1 Leicester City

City started the second half very strongly indeed, knocking the ball about nicely and exploiting the gaps in the Queens Park Rangers defence. In the 51st minute, N’Guessan sped past Ramage once again on the flank, his cross only just evading Fryatt.

In the 54th minute, Jim Magilton made his first substitution of the match, replacing Damion Stewart with Fitz Hall. I suspect that this was due to an injury, but the Jamaican had struggled against the pace and strength of Fryatt. Hall didn’t fare much better. At the other end, in the 59th minute, Buzsaky came very close to scoring. Picking up the ball from 25 yards out, he curled it agonisingly wide of Weale’s left-hand post.

Then, disaster struck. In the 63rd minute, Radek Cerny sent a goal kick straight to the feet of prolific goalscorer, Matty Fryatt. The striker had all the time and space he could have wanted and fired the ball into the back of the net. A completely bizarre goal to concede.

Magilton’s response was to replace Peter Ramage with Rowan Vine, moving Wayne Routledge to the right flank. I have to say, Ramage really struggled against N’Guessan and it was the right decision to take him off.

Leicester City substitution: Matty Fryatt off for Paul Gallagher (74 minutes).

To Queens Park Rangers’ credit, they did improve after the goal, carving out two clear-cut chances in the last fifteen minutes of the match. First, in the 75th minute, a Simpson dummy allowed Routledge to receive it in the penalty area. Unfortunately, his shot was well blocked by the goalkeeper. In the 84th minute, the former Crystal Palace winger was involved in creating another golden opportunity, running into the box from the right flank and cutting it back to Buzsaky. To my despair, with Weale stranded, the Hungarian blasted the ball over the bar. Normally he would have buried the chance.

Leicester City substitution: Waghorn off for McGivern (90 minutes).

In a final throw of the dice, Magilton brought on Patrick Agyemang at the expense of Adel Taraabt. However, Rangers simply couldn’t break down the resilient Leicester defence. After five minutes of added time, the referee, Mr Moss, blew the final whistle, signalling the end to what had been an entertaining, but ultimately disappointing encounter.

Full-time score: Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Leicester City

Conclusion

I’ve seen numerous posts on the message board stating that the Rs were “completely outclassed”. That’s not how I saw the match. For the reasons already stated, Leicester were the better team, but Rangers enjoyed spells of pressure, too, and could have nicked a point. It wasn’t a particularly good performance, but in the past I have seen Rangers play worse and win. The Crystal Palace match is now a crucial one. Rangers must respond and produce an improved display.

Man of the match: Akos Buzsaky - looked the most likely to score in the second half. However, he should have buried that late chance from inside the penalty area. Kaspars Gorkss and Adel Taraabt also played reasonably well.