Tuesday 20th October 2009
The Coca Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: Andy Hall
Attendance: 11,900
Queens Park Rangers 4-1 Reading
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers starting line-up: Cerny, Ramage, Stewart, Routledge, Buzsaky, Gorkss, Watson, Faurlin, Simpson, Borrowdale, Taraabt.

Reading starting line-up: Federici, Cisse, Mills, Gunnarsson, Tabb, Long, McAnuff, Kebe, Ingimarsson, Church, O’Dea.

In my match preview of this fixture I said that if QPR could produce a similar performance to that of last Saturday, they would deal out another thrashing. That’s exactly what happened. Despite the bizarre sending off of Ben Watson, the Rs ran riot against a dire Reading side, scoring four goals with a combination of quality passing, pace and skill. At the moment things are certainly looking very promising at Loftus Road.

I don’t wish to take anything away from Queens Park Rangers’ superb performance, but I could see why Reading are struggling at the foot of the Championship league table. In short, some of their players simply didn’t look interested. Jimmy Kebe and Jobi McAnuff were the only ones who seemed to pose any sort of a threat. I was also surprised at the way the Royals threw away their one-man advantage so quickly, Ivar Ingimarsson deservedly being shown a red card moments into the second half.

After the excellent 4-0 victory over Preston North End, Magilton made one change to the starting line-up, replacing Gavin Mahon with Ben Watson. This was perhaps a little unfair on the former Watford man, who had produced a superb display against the Lilywhites. Routledge was kept in the central role that gave him so much freedom to damage the Preston defence last Saturday.

The match began with both sides knocking the ball about neatly. However, even at such an early stage, QPR were the ones who looked most likely to score. They almost broke the deadlock in the 8th minute when Taraabt received it on the left-hand side. The skilful Moroccan cut inside and unleashed a powerful shot, forcing Federici into a decent save.

In the 10th minute, the referee, Andy Hall, booked Ben Watson for a foul on the edge of the QPR penalty area. In fairness, Hall probably got this decision right (and that was rare). Fortunately, the resulting free kick came to nothing.

For the next fifteen minutes, the match continued in the same vein. Apart from Kalifa Cisse’s wild volley over the bar in the 26th minute, there were few clear-cut chances, with both teams unable to find a breakthrough.

Then came the turning point.

In the 28th minute, Rangers won a free kick about 30 yards from goal. Ben Watson took it quickly, hoping to thread the ball through to Taraabt in the penalty area. Mr Hall, who produced a performance reminiscent of Stuart Attwell’s in the Birmingham fixture last season, didn’t like it at all. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a second yellow card with sickening arrogance. In all my time watching QPR, this was one of the most ludicrous refereeing decisions I have seen. Rather than working in Reading’s favour, however, the bizarre event had the opposite effect. Akos Buzsaky took the set piece superbly, curling it into the bottom corner of the net.

The game had livened up, the atmosphere now electric with the crowd chanting various obscenities at the referee. Despite Reading’s one-man advantage, QPR were the team that were looking to attack and they soon doubled their lead in style.

In the 39th minute, after some brilliant passing across the back four, Routledge picked up the ball on the right flank. The diminutive forward produced a wonderful cross to find the onrushing Jay Simpson in the penalty box, who smashed it into the back of the net. Another brilliant goal.

However, Simon Church almost found Reading a way back into the game just before half-time, sending a 20-yard free-kick crashing against the post.

Bookings:

QPR – Watson (19 and 30 minutes), Borrowdale (24 minutes), Faurlin (44 minutes).

Reading – Ingimarsson (38).

Half-time score: Queens Park Rangers 2-0 Reading.

Reading substitutions:

Sigurdsson for Cisse (45 minutes).

Howard for Tabb (45 minutes).

Eight seconds into the second half, Mr Hall reduced Reading to ten men. Ivar Ingimarsson slid in recklessly on Jay Simpson, sending the young Arsenal loanee flying to the floor. I felt that this was the right decision. The Royals’ skipper should have known better.

In the 52nd minute, however, Reading did force a decent opportunity. Jobi McAnuff beat Ramage on the flank and crossed in for Shane Long, who headed well over the bar. He should have scored.

A minute later, Jim Magilton decided to replace Jay Simpson with Rowan Vine. Once again, I was impressed with the young striker – he has now netted 5 goals in 8 appearances.

Routledge created a golden opportunity to increase QPR’s lead in the 57th minute when he ran down the left flank and crossed in for Vine. Unfortunately, the former Luton striker couldn’t quite connect with it properly and Federici gathered the weak shot comfortably. Just a minute later, more good work from Routledge resulted in Vine being placed in the same situation, but again he struck straight at the goalkeeper from close range.

Taraabt was at the centre of the action in the 61st minute, picking up the ball on the edge of the area, cutting inside and smashing a drive just over the crossbar. This was another excellent performance from the Moroccan, who, I have to say, is looking far too skilful for this level.

In the 65th minute, Magilton replaced Akos Buzsaky with Gavin Mahon, hoping to add a physical presence in the heart of midfield. The Hungarian had produced another excellent performance, but was looking a little fatigued by this stage.

Then came the “killer” goal. In the 70th minute, Rowan Vine received the ball in the penalty area, turned and smashed it past the goalkeeper at his near post. Federici probably could have done better, but I was delighted to see Vine score his first of the campaign.

Magilton then brought on Agyemang at the expense of Adel Taraabt. The Moroccan left the pitch to a standing ovation – and it was deserved. Agyemang made an immediate impact, running through the Reading defence, but in true “Dave” style, he smashed his shot straight at Federici.

However, in the 82nd minute, Agyemang made up for this with an excellent finish. Gavin Mahon’s wonderful through-ball put the striker through on goal and, with a couple of step-overs, the Ghanian rounded the goalkeeper and coolly tapped into the empty net.

In the 83rd minute, Shane Long finally managed to get a shot on target from the edge of the box, forcing Cerny into tipping the ball over the bar. However, Rangers weren’t so fortunate three minutes later when the Royals grabbed a consolation goal.

After Ramage had gone forward for an attack, McAnuff progressed down the right flank and found Brian Howard in the penalty area, who lifted the ball over the diving Cerny and into the back of the net. Unfortunately, the QPR right back has to take responsibility for this goal.

After three minutes of stoppage time, Mr Hall blew the full time whistle, signalling the end to what had been an entertaining encounter and another excellent QPR performance.

Full time: Queens Park Rangers 4-1 Reading

Conclusion

As already mentioned, this was another superb performance from Queens Park Rangers. At times I did wonder whether I was watching the same squad of players that only just managed to draw against Peterborough United earlier in the campaign.

When the likes of Taraabt, Buzsaky and Routledge are on form (as they have been in the last few games), Rangers really are a force to be reckoned with when going forward. If Magilton can keep those three players fit, then the Super Hoops could be in with a real chance of contending for promotion. Of course, consistency is key, and the team must show that they are capable of performing like this away from home against Derby County on Saturday evening.

Man of the match: Adel Taraabt. As already stated, this was another outstanding performance from the Moroccan. I particularly enjoyed his wonderful piece of skill in the first half, keeping it by the corner flag and confusing three Reading defenders with a series of step-overs. He also seems to be learning when to release the ball. In short, Taraabt really is a pleasure to watch.