Saturday 17th October 2009
The Coca-Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: R J Booth
Attendance: 12,810
Queens Park Rangers 4-0 Preston North End
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers starting line-up: Cerny, Ramage, Stewart, Mahon, Routledge, Buzsaky, Gorkss, Faurlin, Simpson, Borrowdale, Taraabt.

Preston North End starting line-up: Lonergan, Hart, Chaplow, Mawene, Collins, Sedgwick, Sumulikoski, Brown, Jones, Wallace, Mellor.

In my match preview I predicted a dull, scrappy encounter finishing in a 1-1 draw. How wrong was I? This was the best performance from Queens Park Rangers I have seen for a very long time, the Rs dismantling the North End defence with some exceptional skill and wonderful passing movements. I’m sure that even the most ardent of Preston fans would agree that their team was thoroughly outplayed and outfought by Magilton’s men. Each of the four goals was brilliantly worked, but Taraabt’s opener stood out as an early “goal of the season” candidate. In short, it is a pleasure to write about such an entertaining, and most importantly, successful display from the Super Hoops.

I was particularly pleased with Gavin Mahon’s performance in the heart of midfield. The former Watford man has been the subject of some heavy criticism since he signed for the club, but on this occasion I thought that he was outstanding. In fact, I counted only one misplaced pass from him throughout the ninety minutes. In addition, Faurlin was excellent. I can’t help thinking that Ben Watson might struggle to get back into the side on the basis of this display. Kaspars Gorkss, Akos Buzsaky, Wayne Routledge and Adel Taraabt also played superbly.

With seven players missing owing to injuries and suspensions, Magilton was forced to change his starting line up. In a surprising decision, Wayne Routledge partnered Jay Simpson in attack. Taraabt and Buzsaky took up the wings, whilst Mahon and Faurlin occupied the heart of midfield. The back four consisted of Ramage, Stewart, Gorkss and Borrowdale, whilst Cerny kept his place in goal.

Queens Park Rangers started the match brightly, keeping possession effectively and making use of Taraabt and Buzsaky on the flanks. In the 7th minute, Gavin Mahon created the first opportunity, turning neatly in central midfield and playing Taraabt through on goal with a fine pass. Unfortunately, Lonergan managed to claim the ball before the Moroccan could connect with it.

Four minutes later, the Super Hoops took the lead in stunning fashion. The skilful Taraabt picked up the ball on the left flank, beat three players with a combination of pace and skill and curled it into the top corner of the net from 30 yards out. As already mentioned, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this considered for the “goal of the season” competition.

Routledge almost doubled the advantage in the 13th minute. Seizing on a dreadful back-pass from Michael Hart, the diminutive forward shot on goal, but to my despair Lonergan saved well.

The former Crystal Palace man was at the centre of the action again two minutes later, progressing into the penalty area from the left wing, but unfortunately seeing his powerful shot blocked by Neill Collins. It did seem that Routledge’s new central role had given him more freedom to damage the Preston defence.

In the 29th minute, after a dangerous Preston free kick had been cleared, Queens Park Rangers hit the Lilywhites on the counter attack. Taraabt sped through midfield and released the unmarked Routledge into the penalty area. Unfortunately, he couldn’t quite manage to reach the ball and Mawene cleared.

Neil Mellor forced Preston’s first real opportunity of the match in the 31st minute. Pouncing on a decent pass from Richard Chaplow, the former Liverpool man progressed down North End’s left-hand side and struck at Cerny from a tight angle, the goalkeeper saving comfortably. Mellor looked the most likely to cause Rangers problems all afternoon.

At this point Preston were beginning to get more involved in the match. A period of pressure on the QPR defence resulted in Ross Wallace shooting just over the crossbar when he really should have crossed.

However, in the 40th minute, Akos Buzsaky was to produce another magical piece of skill that almost increased the Super Hoops’ lead. Picking up the ball from 25 yards out, the Hungarian international smashed a volley at goal, sending it crashing against the crossbar.

Half-time: Queens Park Rangers 1-0 Preston North End

Neither manager chose to make any changes for the second period. In the 45th minute, Alejandro Faurlin created an opportunity for the Rs, playing Buzsaky through on goal. The Hungarian took the ball past Lonergan, but his touch was too heavy and it trickled out of play for a goal kick.

Buoyed by the success of Taraabt and Buzsaky from long-range, Gary Borrowdale decided to send the ball flying towards the top corner of the net in the 50th minute. Somehow, however, Lonergan managed to tip it over the crossbar.

Queens Park Rangers were still dominating proceedings, the Lilywhites unable to create a clear-cut chance. In the 56th minute, a Rangers counter-attack should have resulted in a goal. Routledge ran down the wing and crossed in for Simpson on the edge of the penalty area. The Arsenal loanee’s shot was saved comfortably by Lonergan. He really should have passed to Adel Taraabt, who was in acres of space on the right-hand side (rather ironic given that the Moroccan has been criticised for being too selfish).

Moments later, North End could have equalised when Chris Brown forced Cerny into a superb diving save from close-range. Just as I was getting concerned, however, Rangers doubled their advantage.

In the 64th minute, Taraabt picked up the ball inside the penalty area and skilfully nutmegged Hart, who clearly brought him down. To my relief, the referee pointed to the spot. Buzsaky took the resulting kick, smashing it into the bottom corner, the shot being far too powerful for Lonergan.

Preston substitute: Sedgwick off for Parry (64 minutes).

Preston substitute: Sumulikoski off for Carter (64 minutes).

Preston substitute: Brown off for Parkin (65 minutes).

That goal served as the “killer blow” to Preston North End and only ten minutes later, Rangers added a third. Another wonderful pass from Buzsaky released Jay Simpson into the penalty area. The Arsenal loanee coolly tucked the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

With the Rs dominant, Magilton decided to make two changes in the 75th minute, bringing Buzsaky off for Agyemang and replacing Simpson with Vine. I had been very impressed with the performances of the Hungarian and the young Arsenal loanee.

Routledge deservedly scored the fourth goal in the 84th minute. This was almost as good as Taraabt’s, with the skilful forward running at the PNE defence and slotting it into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

That was to be Routledge’s last contribution to the game, as Gareth Ainsworth replaced him in the 86th minute. “Wild thing” stepped on to the pitch to a standing ovation from the Queens Park Rangers supporters. The fans could see that he was “back in business” when he attempted an overhead kick from the edge of the box, only just missing the ball.

QPR’s final opportunity came in the 89th minute. This time it was Vine who was played through on the left-hand side, but he could only smack the ball against the crossbar.

After three minutes of added time, the referee blew the full-time whistle, signalling the end to what had been an entertaining encounter and a sensational Queens Park Rangers performance.

Full time score: Queens Park Rangers 4-0 Preston North End

Conclusion

I could sense a real air of confidence about the Queens Park Rangers team on Saturday afternoon. This was a faultless performance, remarkable really considering the amount of players who were missing through injuries and suspensions.

It must be remembered that Preston North End are a strong team in this division. At times Rangers looked like they were in another league, totally outclassing the Lilywhites.

If Rangers produce a performance like this on Tuesday night against a struggling Reading side, they could deal out another thrashing.

Man of the match: Very difficult. Mahon, Buzsaky and Gorkss were all absolutely superb on Saturday afternoon. Routledge also caused so many problems in his new central role. However, I’m going to give the award to Adel Taraabt for his outstanding opener and for winning the penalty for the all-important second goal.