Saturday 26th September 2009
The Coca-Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: K G Evans
Attendance: 12025
Queens Park Rangers 5-2 Barnsley
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers starting line-up: Cerny, Stewart, Leigertwood, Routledge, Vine, Buzsaky, Gorkss, Rowlands, Watson, Simpson, Borrowdale.

Barnsley starting line-up: Preece, Butterfield, Foster, ****inson, Shotton, Doyle, Colace, Anderson de Silva, Hammill, Gray, Hume.

This was the most entertaining match I have seen at Loftus Road for quite some time. It had everything: wonder-strikes, goalmouth scrambles, a penalty kick and some attractive football from both sides. At last Queens Park Rangers were able to convert a large proportion of the opportunities that they created, storming to a 3-0 lead in the first half thanks to a Leigertwood goal and two fine Buzsaky strikes. Although a Stephen Foster header and an Andy Gray penalty gave Rangers a real scare early in the second period, a terrible piece of goalkeeping by David Preece allowed the Super Hoops to regain the upper hand, before Jay Simpson sealed the victory with a tap-in.

The scoreline may suggest that this was a wholly one-sided affair. That wasn’t the case. In truth, Barnsley played some impressive football at times, using the pace and skill of Hammill on the wing to cause QPR problems. However, it was defensive mistakes that let the Tykes down. They gave far too much space to the likes of Buzsaky, Routledge, Watson and Rowlands. This is something that the manager, Mark Robins, will need to improve upon if his side is to stay clear of relegation trouble this season.

I was pleased to see Magilton stick with the same starting eleven that beat Cardiff City last weekend. At this stage it is important that the manager decides upon his best team – it appears that he may have done this. Simpson partnered Vine up front, whilst Routledge and Buzsaky occupied the flanks. Rowlands and Watson played in the heart of midfield. Leigertwood, Stewart, Gorkss and Borrowdale started in defence and Radek Cerny took up the goalkeeping position.

The Tykes actually started the match very brightly. In the 5th minute, Iain Hume had the first opportunity of the game. A wonderful ball from Anderson de Silva allowed the Canadian to race through on goal. Under pressure from Damion Stewart, the former Leicester City man could only drag his shot wide of the target. A lucky escape for the QPR defenders.

Just as I was beginning to get concerned, however, Rangers took the lead in the 7th minute. After a well-timed pass from Martin Rowlands, Mikele Leigertwood ran at the Tykes’ defence and unleashed a powerful drive, which flew into the bottom corner of the net. Although the Barnsley back four should have closed him down, this was another fantastic goal to add to Leigertwood’s collection. I must say, the former Crystal Palace man played well today, linking up with Routledge on the right flank very effectively indeed.

Seven minutes later, things got even better for Magilton’s men. This time, Watson was at the centre of the action, exploiting the gaps in the Barnsley defence to pick out Buzsaky inside the penalty area. With the help of a deflection, the Hungarian international’s shot evaded the grasp of the goalkeeper and bounced into the bottom corner of the net.

The home team could have added a third in the 17th minute. Once again, it was Watson who found the space in the Barnsley defence, releasing Routledge into the penalty area with a through-pass. Unfortunately, the diminutive winger sent his powerful shot crashing against the post and out of play.

The Tykes, however, still posed a threat going forward and their efforts were almost rewarded in the 29th and 30th minute. First, only a last-ditch tackle by Damion Stewart prevented Anderson de Silva’s cross from reaching a Barnsley player in the penalty box. Then, the skilful Hammill picked up the ball on the left flank, cut inside and sent a curling effort sailing just wide of Cerny’s post from 30 yards out.

Just as it looked as though the away side were getting back into the match, a touch of brilliance from Akos Buzsaky silenced the Barnsley faithful. In the 39th minute, from outside the box, the “Magical Magyar” sent the ball looping over David Preece and into the back of the net. A tremendous strike.

Rowan Vine could even have added a fourth just before half time, pouncing on a loose ball inside the penalty area and smashing it towards goal. Unfortunately, this time, David Preece managed to tip it away to safety.

Bookings: Shotton (36 minutes), Anderson de Silva (39 minutes).

Half time score: Queens Park Rangers 3-0 Barnsley

Queens Park Rangers couldn’t have started the second period worse, conceding a goal in the 50th minute and offering the Tykes an opportunity to get back into the game. After Mikele Leigertwood had carelessly given away a free kick on Barnsley’s left flank, Hume’s resulting set piece found the unmarked Stephen Foster, whose header nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

And then, to my despair, Barnsley notched their second goal of the game. After Hammill had raced into the box, beating two Rs players, Damion Stewart brought him down, the referee immediately pointing to the spot. I must admit, it looked like a “stone-wall” penalty to me. Although Radek Cerny saved Gray’s spot-kick, the former Burnley striker pounced on the rebound and tapped it in, sending the travelling supporters into wild celebration.

Barnsley substitution: Kozluk on for Butterfield (56 minutes).

Barnsley substitution: Bogadnovic on for Hume (60 minutes).

After such a dreadful start to the second half; the Queens Park Rangers players seemed to wake up. In the 61st minute, Watson played Simpson through on the right-hand side. Under pressure from a Barnsley defender, the Arsenal loanee’s strike hit the side netting.

At the other end, Barnsley were pushing for an equaliser and almost got it in the 63rd minute. Again it was Hammill causing the problems; picking up the ball 30 yards out and forcing Cerny into a dramatic save, tipping it over his bar.

However, Barnsley’s best opportunity to equalise came in the 66th minute. At this point the QPR defence was looking vulnerable and Bogdanovic managed to get in behind Borrowdale on the right flank. He then crossed to the unmarked Gray, but the former Burnley man couldn’t quite connect with it and Gorkss managed to clear the ball out to safety.

The away side would be left ruing those squandered opportunities, as Queens Park Rangers netted the killer goal just a minute later. Buzsaky progressed down the Rs’ left flank and crossed in for Vine at the back post. The striker unselfishly headed it into the path of Watson, who smashed his shot right at the goalkeeper. Preece should have dealt with it better, the ball squirming free of his grasp and into the back of the net. A careless mistake.

Magilton, eager to avoid another Barnsley comeback, made two substitutions in the 68th minute. Alejandro Faurlin replaced Wayne Routledge and Adel Taraabt was brought on at the expense of Rowan Vine.

Barnsley substitution: Campbell-Ryce on for Gray (75 minutes).

Queens Park Rangers were now dominating proceedings and added a fifth in the 77th minute. Alejandro Faurlin’s well-taken corner found Gorkss at the far post. The Latvian international headed the ball across for young Jay Simpson to tap in his third goal of the season.

Magilton then brought on Alessandro Pellicori for Jay Simpson. The young striker had impressed me, working hard up front, putting the defenders under pressure and eventually getting a well-deserved goal.

Adel Taraabt then came under some criticism from the QPR supporters, after selfishly trying to take on three Barnsley defenders instead of passing to Buzsaky in acres of space on the left wing. As I have said before, at times the Moroccan can be guilty of playing for himself rather than the team. Hopefully this is something that he will eradicate from his game as he picks up more experience.

QPR could have added a sixth in stoppage time. Alejandro Faurlin, who had been impressive during the twenty or so minutes he was on the pitch, progressed into the penalty area and tested Preece with a powerful effort. Unfortunately, the Barnsley ‘keeper dealt with it well, pushing the ball out of play.

After five minutes of injury time, Mr Evans blew the full-time whistle, signalling the end to what had been an entertaining encounter and an excellent QPR performance.

Bookings: Kozluk (59 minutes), Borrowdale (87 minutes).

Full-time score: Queens Park Rangers 5-2 Barnsley.

Conclusion

I was delighted with the performance on Saturday afternoon. Although I wouldn’t say that the Rs dominated the entire match (Barnsley played some nice attacking football at times), on the most part, I thought that Queens Park Rangers played very well indeed, using their attractive passing movements to exploit the gaps in the vulnerable Tykes defence. The Super Hoops’ finishing in front of goal was particularly pleasing. Clearly the players have been working on this on the training pitch.

I think that Magilton may have decided upon his best starting eleven. In this division, stability and consistency are key to success and changing the team every week only serves to unsettle the players. I do hope that the manager fields the same side against Newcastle United on Wednesday night.

Man of the match: Akos Buzsaky. It looks like the Hungarian international is back to his best after the serious injury he sustained last season. His second goal was simply magnificent and his overall performance was outstanding.