Saturday 19th September 2009
The Coca Cola Championship
Cardiff City Stadium
Kick-off: 15:00
Referee: L Probert
Cardiff City (4th) V Queens Park Rangers (14th)
By The Godfather

Following the postponement of Tuesday night’s match against Crystal Palace, Queens Park Rangers face a very difficult fixture against Cardiff City at their brand new home stadium. A poor start to the season has resulted in heavy criticism of Magilton’s tactical decisions and it’s therefore important that the Super Hoops come away with a good result on Saturday afternoon in order to lift some of the pressure that has been mounting on the manager. I’m afraid to say that, after the lacklustre performance against Peterborough, I find it hard to see that happening.

Cardiff City

Manager: Dave Jones

2008-09 season finish: 7th position.

For me, this fixture always evokes nightmarish memories of that 0-4 defeat at Loftus Road in the 2002/03 season when Rangers were single-handedly torn apart by the pace and skill of Robert Earnshaw. This time, in place of “Earnie”, Michael Chopra will provide the Bluebirds with their attacking threat. Let’s hope that we don’t see a repeat of that scoreline on Saturday afternoon!

Playing their home games in a brand new stadium, Cardiff have started the campaign reasonably well, picking up thirteen points from a possible twenty-one. After the disappointment of missing out last season, Dave Jones will be hoping to see his team mount a strong promotion challenge. Following an impressive victory at Reading on Wednesday, supporters will be confident that their side will pick up three points against a struggling QPR side.

Men to watch

In Michael Chopra, Cardiff City have perhaps the best striker in the Football League Championship. In his second spell with the club, he has already notched eight goals this season. Skilful, good on the ball and a clinical finisher, he is exactly what Queens Park Rangers need in their frontline. I do hope that he will be marked properly by the QPR defenders on Saturday afternoon.

Jay Bothroyd is likely to partner Chopra in attack. Having played for Coventry, Wolves and Stoke, the 27 year-old has bags of experience in the Championship. Although he cannot be described as a prolific goalscorer, his pace and aerial ability could provide a threat to the Rangers defence. Jones also has talented striker, Ross McCormack, although it is unlikely that he will be fit in time for this match.

On the left wing, expect to see 25 year-old Peter Whittingham give the Rs’ fullbacks a stern test. Whittingham is someone I rate very highly indeed, showing skill on the ball and the ability to produce wonderful strikes from long range. In the past, his impressive performances have earned him call-ups to the England Under 21 squad. In total, he has made just under a hundred appearances for the Bluebirds, scoring thirteen goals.

In the heart of midfield, Dave Jones has one of the best players in the division at his disposal. At the age of only 22, Joe Ledley has already made over 30 appearances for the Welsh international team, scoring twice. In truth, City have done very well to keep him at the club, but if he continues with his excellent performances, he will surely be snapped up by a Premiership side.

Gavin Rae will probably play alongside the talented Ledley. At the age of 31, the hard-working midfielder offers the team experience and leadership qualities. The former Dundee and Glasgow Rangers man has made 13 appearances for the Scottish international side.

At the back, Mark Hudson will probably keep his place in the starting line-up. The 27 year-old played for both Crystal Palace and Charlton Athletic before making the move to Cardiff during the summer for a fee of £1.05 million.

Scottish international goalkeeper, David Marshall, is also likely to start. After beginning his career at Celtic, the 24 year-old spent two successful seasons with Norwich City, but following the Canaries’ relegation, joined City during the summer for a reported figure of £500,000.

Previous Matches

February 2009 – In a game of few goalscoring opportunities, Queens Park Rangers held play-off chasing Cardiff City to a 0-0 draw. Darren Purse tested Radek Cerny early in the first half, heading on Roger Johnson’s flick. At the other end, Liam Miller’s shot was well saved by Dimi Konstantopolous. Michael Chopra wasted Cardiff’s best opportunity after the break, firing wide from close range.

QPR Manager, Paulo Sousa: “We played very well against a team that wants to be in the Premier League next season. After last week's poor performance against Ipswich, we showed everyone that we can play good football. We have played well and created a lot of chances but we still need to win these games. When we don't get three points after playing so well it is frustrating but I'm always proud of the players, especially after coming here to a difficult place and doing so well.”

Cardiff City 0-0 Queens Park Rangers

November 2008 – Gavin Mahon’s superb header was enough to see off a Cardiff side reduced to nine men at Loftus Road. After Darren Purse had been shown a red card for a poor tackle on Lee Cook, Mahon headed in the winner from Ramage’s cross in the 80th minute. Miguel Com*****s picked up a second yellow card for dissent, moments after being booked for a foul.

QPR Caretaker Manager, Gareth Ainsworth: “Gavin came up with a fantastic header for us. We'll take the three points and we are well in touch with the top six. I thought it (Darren Purse's sending-off) looked harsh and I told (Cardiff manager) Dave Jones and Darren that.”

Queens Park Rangers 1-0 Cardiff City

League Form

Queens Park Rangers league form: DLDWD – last match (QPR 1-1 Peterborough).

Cardiff City league form: WWLLW – last match (Reading 0-1 Cardiff).

Team News

Fitz Hall and Angelo Balanta are unlikely to be involved in this match. Gareth Ainsworth is still suffering from injury, whilst Lee Cook remains a long-term absentee. For Cardiff, Kevin Etuhu is likely to miss this fixture through an ankle problem. Ross McCormack and Kevin McNaughton could also be unavailable through injuries. Stephen McPhail will be suspended following his sending off against Reading.

Prediction

If Rangers are to come away with a decent result, they will have to show far more passion and energy than they did against Peterborough United last week-end. According to reports on the message boards, Jim Magilton has tried to alter the team tactics a little in the training session. Perhaps that will change things. Unfortunately, however, I think this is going to be a really difficult match for Queens Park Rangers. Cardiff have some excellent players at their disposal and will be confident after their victory on Wednesday night. I do hope I’m wrong, but I predict a comfortable victory for the Bluebirds.

Cardiff City 2-0 Queens Park Rangers