Tuesday 15th September 2009
The Coca-Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: M P Russell
Kick-off: 20:00
Queens Park Rangers (13th) V Crystal Palace (19th)
By The Godfather

Even at this early stage of the season, it is vital that Queens Park Rangers pick up all three points against Crystal Palace in the London derby on Tuesday evening. Some disappointing results and lacklustre performances have resulted in heavy criticism of Magilton’s tactical skills. Palace boss, Neil Warnock, will also be feeling the pressure after his team were hammered 4-0 by newly promoted Scunny. Let’s hope that Rangers get that all-important first home victory.

Crystal Palace

Over the years, Neil Warnock has developed a trademark of a very physical, aggressive style of football. I will admit to not being his greatest fan. In the past, however, there can be no disputing the fact that his tactics have reaped some success in this division, particularly when he guided Sheffield United to promotion a few years ago. Furthermore, in his first season with the Eagles, he achieved a top-six finish, only narrowly missing out on a place in the play-off final.

Palace’s start to the 2009/10 campaign, however, will have left Warnock feeling very concerned indeed. So far they have only picked up five points from a possible eighteen, suffering a humiliating home defeat to the Iron last Saturday. The supporters will be expecting the Eagles to “bounce back”, and a fixture against a struggling Queens Park Rangers side presents them with an excellent opportunity to do so.

Men to watch

The talented Freddie Sears could start in attack for Crystal Palace. The 19 year-old signed for the Eagles on a season-long loan deal from West Ham United during the summer, reportedly rejecting offers from QPR, Sheffield Wednesday and Peterborough. Sears has not scored for Palace in the Championship yet (although his disallowed goal against Bristol City a few weeks ago clearly crossed the line). His confidence could be low after missing a penalty last Saturday.

Alan Lee could partner Sears up front. The 31 year-old has bags of experience in the Football League Championship, having spent two successful seasons with Ipswich Town under Jim Magilton. Lee’s skill and goalscoring instinct could pose a threat to the Queens Park Rangers defence on Tuesday evening. Warnock could also select 18 year-old striker, Sean Scannell, who offers Palace pace and skill in attack.

Neil Warnock could also select Victor Moses in his starting line-up. The 18 year-old, who has already made 45 appearances for the Eagles, has represented England at Under 16, Under 17, Under 18 and Under 19 level. The pacey winger could give the Rs’ fullbacks a stern test on Tuesday evening. Let’s hope that Magilton has identified this threat.

In the middle of the park, expect to see Shaun Derry handed a place in the team. The no-nonsense central midfielder lists Sheffield United, Portsmouth and Leeds among his former clubs. He is enjoying his second spell with the club, having made over 150 appearances for the Eagles in total. The 31 year-old could give the likes of Buzsaky, Watson and Rowlands a difficult match.

Neil Danns will probably play alongside Derry in central midfield. The 26 year-old is another member of the Palace squad who possesses a lot of Championship experience. He had spells with Blackburn, Colchester and Birmingham, before signing for the Eagles in January 2008.

At the back, Clint Hill is likely to play. The central defender signed for Palace two seasons ago and has since impressed the supporters with his performances, earning himself a regular place in the starting line-up. The 30 year-old can also occupy the left-back position if required.

Warnock could also select full-back, Matthew Lawrence, in his starting line-up. After becoming a favourite with the Millwall supporters during a successful six-year spell with the Lions, Lawrence made the move to Selhurst Park in 2006. He has since made over 100 appearances for Crystal Palace. At the age of 35, perhaps the likes of Taraabt and Buzsaky could expose his lack of pace.

In goal, Julian Speroni should keep his place. The Argentinean is a goalkeeper I rate very highly indeed and, frustratingly, always seems to be on top form whenever he comes up against QPR. The 30 year-old has made over 100 appearances since joining the club in 2004 from Dundee.

Previous Match

April 2009 – In his final game in charge of the Super Hoops, Paulo Sousa was sent from the touchline by the referee as Queens Park Rangers were held to a 0-0 draw by an incredibly physical Crystal Palace team. During a dull first half, Sousa was sent to the stands after complaining about a kung-fu style kick on Samuel Di Carmine. After the break, Taraabt had the best opportunity to score, but squandered the chance from close range. Moses also had a long shot well saved by Radek Cerny. In the end, the two sides had to settle for a point to show for their efforts.

QPR First Team Coach, Paulo Sousa: “I can't understand it when a manager is sent off for looking out for his player. I care about my players and I went to see him, and I am sent to the stands. I said nothing to the referee, I was going to see my player. I think it was because I went out of my area.”

Queens Park Rangers 0-0 Crystal Palace

QPR Team News

Angelo Balanta and Fitz Hall will both miss this fixture through injuries. Gareth Ainsworth has been suffering from hamstring problems, but should be back in contention “sooner rather than later” according to the physio’s programme notes. Lee Cook remains a long-term absentee.

Prediction

It will be interesting to see how Ben Watson, Mikele Leigertwood and Wayne Routledge fare against their former club. This could work to our advantage, as I suspect that they will be really “up” for this match.

Palace will surely be vulnerable after their humiliating defeat at Selhurst Park last Saturday. However, my concern is whether QPR’s more creative players will be able to influence proceedings against such an aggressive team. Will they be simply pushed and shoved off the ball? I do hope not.

Last season, this fixture produced two very dull encounters, both of which finished in draws. Unfortunately, I predict the same for this match. I suspect that the Rs’ skilful flicks and impressive passing patterns will be cancelled out by Palace’s brawn and aggression.

Queens Park Rangers 1-1 Crystal Palace