Saturday 29th August 2009
The Coca-Cola Championship
Glanford Park Stadium
Kick-off: 15:00
Referee: G Salisbury
Queens Park Rangers (16th) V Scunthorpe United (18th)
By The Godfather

At last, after squandering what has seemed like thousands upon thousands of goalscoring opportunities, Queens Park Rangers have signed a new striker. Not a proven Championship scorer, but an Arsenal youngster with bags of talent and potential. Jay Simpson, a 20 year-old forward who had a very successful spell with Millwall a couple of years ago, has made the move to Loftus Road on a season-long loan deal. Let’s hope that he turns out to be the clinical finisher that the Rs so desperately need.

Simpson’s first test in a QPR shirt will be against Scunthorpe United, who were promoted via the League One play-offs at the end of the 2008/09 campaign. Still without a win so far this season, it is vital that Magilton’s team pick up three points on Saturday afternoon.

Scunthorpe United

Few would have expected Nigel Adkins’ side to make an immediate return to the Championship after their relegation in the 2007/08 campaign. However, last season, despite only just securing a 6th placed finish, United beat promotion favourites, MK Dons and Milwall, to lift the League One play-off trophy.

Without doubt, the Iron’s aim this season will be to avoid relegation. However, fans will be concerned at the start the club has made. United have lost three of their four opening fixtures, being hammered 4-0 by Sheffield Wednesday in their previous match last Saturday.

A Carling Cup victory in midweek, albeit against a Swansea side reduced to seven men by the final whistle, will have lifted team morale. However, United’s defence could be vulnerable after conceding so many over the last few weeks. Let’s hope Rangers can capitalise upon this.

Men to watch

Scunthorpe’s main attacking threat will be Gary Hooper. The 20 year-old notched an incredible total of 30 goals in all competitions during the previous campaign and has already netted 3 times so far this season. The clinical finisher will definitely be one to watch on Saturday.

Paul Hayes will probably partner Hooper in attack. The 25 year-old is enjoying his second spell with the club after spending three years with the Iron between 2002 and 2005. In total, Hayes has scored 49 goals in 178 appearances for United. He has also played for Norwich City and Barnsley.

In midfield, Adkins could hand a start to the talented Martyn Woolford. After a very successful two-year period with York City, the 23 year-old joined Scunthorpe in 2008 and played an important role in the club’s promotion campaign, scoring the winner in the play-off final against Millwall. The skilful player could have a bright future ahead of him in the game.

Football fans who watched the entertaining play-off final between Scunthorpe and Millwall may remember Matthew Sparrow, who netted two of his side’s goals and was the outstanding performer of the game. The 27 year-old is popular with the supporters for his loyalty, having made over 300 appearances for the club since 1999.

At the back, Cliff Byrne will probably be handed a start on Saturday afternoon. After starting his career with Sunderland, the 27 year-old signed for Scunthorpe in 2002 and has since made over 200 appearances.

In the left-back position, Adkins could select Marcus Williams. At the age of only 23, the defender has already made 127 appearances for the Iron. He made an important contribution to the club’s promotion last season.

In goal, Joe Murphy will probably keep his place. The 27 year-old, who lists West Brom and Sunderland among his former clubs, earned himself a place in the “2008/09 League One Team of the Season” with his outstanding performances. Murphy has made one appearance for the Republic of Ireland national team.

Previous Matches

December 2007 – Two outstanding goals from Akos Buzsaky were not enough to win Queens Park Rangers all three points at Glanford Park. The Hungarian international put the Rs ahead with a superb curling shot early in the first half, before Paterson converted Hurst’s corner to equalise. Buzsaky regained the lead with a fine free kick just before the break, but a close-range drive from Forte nicked a point for United early in the second half.

QPR Manager, Luigi De Canio: “It was upsetting to lose the lead but that's the moment we're going through. Credit to Scunthorpe, though, and the outcome was a really good game. Akos Buzsaky played a really good game for us and that's why we brought him here. Like in other games he showed what he is capable of doing. He's a great player. We've played some nice games while I've been here but we waste some chances in front of goal. However, we're going in the right direction and I'm really satisfied.”

Scunthorpe United 2-2 Queens Park Rangers

March 2008 – The Rs came from behind at Loftus Road to beat Scunthorpe United by three goals to one. The away side took the lead in the 20th minute when McCann’s free kick flew into the top corner. Rowlands equalised from the penalty spot just before half time. Agyemang put Rangers in front in the 79th minute, smashing the ball home from the edge of the area. Vine sealed the victory in the fourth minute of injury time from close range.

QPR Manager, Luigi De Canio: “I didn't think reaching the play-offs was possible before this game and I haven't changed my mind. While some might say relegation is not possible either, I know from personal experience that is not yet the case. When I was at Siena, we were bottom of Serie A and Bologna in the Uefa Cup places. We stayed up, they went down.”

Queens Park Rangers 3-1 Scunthorpe United

Form

Queens Park Rangers: DWDLDW (Last match, QPR 2-1 Accrington Stanley – Carling Cup).

Scunthorpe United: LWWLLW (Last match, Swansea 1-2 Scunthorpe – Carling Cup).

QPR Team News

Martin Rowlands and Angelo Balanta could be involved on Saturday afternoon after recovering from their injuries. Fitz Hall will probably miss the match after limping off during the Forest fixture. Lee Cook will definitely be unavailable, still suffering from knee problems.

Prediction

We have all moaned about the Rs’ poor finishing in front of goal over the last few weeks. Now that the club has brought in a new striker, will there be an improvement? I’m cautiously optimistic. From watching some videos on Youtube it looks like this Jay Simpson knows how to stick the ball into the back of the net. He also has a lot of pace.

One thing’s for sure: the Rs’ are going to have to produce a better performance than they did against Accrington Stanley on Tuesday night if they are to come out on top in this one. However, now that we seem to have a talented forward, I’m quietly confident about Saturday’s fixture. If Rangers can create as many chances as they have done in the Blackpool and Plymouth games, we might see some of these opportunities converted by Jay Simpson.

Scunthorpe United 1-2 Queens Park Rangers