Tuesday 25th August 2009
The Carling Cup Second Round
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: C L Pawson
Attendance: 5703
Queens Park Rangers 2-1 Accrington Stanley
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers starting line-up: Heaton, Ramage, Stewart, Mahon, Leigertwood, Vine, Buzsaky, Agyemang, Gorkss, Connolly, Ephraim.

Accrington Stanley starting line-up: Martin, Kempson, Procter, Miles, Joyce, Edwards, Ryan, Winnard, McConville, Symes, Murphy.

I know it’s a cliché, but this really was a game of two halves. In the first, Queens Park Rangers produced a performance devoid of any passion and creativity, being utterly outplayed and outfought by a hard-working Accrington side. In the second, thanks in part to the pace and skill of substitute, Adel Taraabt, the Rs finally managed to exploit the gaps in the Stanley defence, with Hogan Ephraim and Wayne Routledge getting on the scoresheet. However, Accrington Stanley grabbed a deserved consolation goal in the 92nd minute.

For me, the outstanding performer of the night was Accrington striker, Michael Symes, who proved to be a thorn in Rangers’ side throughout the match. He seemed to be strong in several areas: skilful, good on the ball and a threat in the air. In the end, he got the goal that he so thoroughly deserved. Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him among the League Two top scorers come the end of the season.

Once again, Magilton set out with a 4-4-2 formation. Agyemang partnered Vine up front, supported by Ephraim and Buzsaky on the flanks. Mahon and Leigertwood filled central midfield, whilst Connolly and Ramage played in the full-back positions. Stewart and Gorkss occupied central defence. In goal, loan signing from Manchester United, Tom Heaton, was given his first start in a QPR shirt.

The Rs’ first half display was concerning to say the very least, especially as Magilton fielded a very strong team. If there had been a few inexperienced youngsters in the side perhaps the clumsy passes, defensive mistakes and general lack of movement could have been excused. However, one would expect players like Buzsaky, Vine and Leigertwood, even if they’re not fully fit, to tear apart a team in 21st position in League Two. It didn’t happen.

The match started scrappily, with the ball bobbling around the centre circle. Despite this, Rangers managed to carve out an opportunity in the 4th minute. A long pass from Damion Stewart was chested down to Vine on the edge of the area. The striker perhaps had more time than he realised, his weak shot being easily gathered by the Stanley goalkeeper.

After that escape, the League Two team seemed to settle down, playing some very nice football. It was from a well-crafted move that Stanley very nearly took the lead in the 11th minute. McConville picked up the ball in midfield and released the impressive Symes on the left-hand side. The skilful striker unleashed a powerful drive, which had Heaton diving across his goal. Luckily the Manchester United loanee managed to push it to safety.

Heaton was called into action again just three minutes later. A terrible back-pass from Damion Stewart (who, I have to say, looked clumsy all night) put the goalkeeper under pressure. To my horror, McConville blocked the clearance – fortunately, out for a goal kick.

At this point the Rs fans were beginning to become frustrated. Already boos could be heard loud and clear. And, frankly, it was understandable. By now the team had resorted to launching aimless long-balls up the pitch. In short, some of the Rs players simply didn’t look interested.

Accrington continued to play their attractive passing football and came close to taking the lead once again in the 23rd minute, this time from a free-kick just outside the area. Joyce’s fine set-piece had Heaton scrambling across his goal. Fortunately, he managed to palm the ball away.

Queens Park Rangers finally responded with an opportunity of their own in the 35th minute. A short corner fell to Buzsaky on the edge of the area, whose deep cross found Gorkss at the back post. Under pressure from Kempson, the Latvian could only knock the ball into the arms of Martin in the Stanley goal.

Two minutes later, at the other end, Accrington Stanley had their best chance yet. Again it was Symes causing the problems, being played through on goal and then sending his low shot just wide of Heaton’s right-hand post. Another lucky escape for the Rs.

Rangers struck back by releasing Vine through into the penalty area in the 39th minute. With the crowd on their feet ready to celebrate, the former Luton striker inexplicably fired his shot straight at the goalkeeper, the Rs ending up with only a corner. For me, this summed up the performance of QPR’s strikers so far this season.

The crowd’s reaction to the half time whistle was very angry indeed. One thing was for sure: Magilton needed to do something if he wanted to avoid a shock cup defeat.

Half-time score: Queens Park Rangers 0-0 Accrington Stanley

Jim Magilton responded to his side’s dreadful first-half display by making a double substitution, bringing on Taraabt and Borrowdale at the expense of Agyemang and Gorkss. Agyemang in particular had looked poor throughout the first half and the decision to replace him with the Moroccan international would prove to be a masterstroke.

Taraabt made an immediate impact. Just a minute into the second half, he ran through central midfield, finding Buzsaky in the penalty area with a wonderful lob. The Hungarian twisted and turned, creating space to shoot, but to my despair he dragged the ball just wide of Martin’s goal.

Accrington were starting to struggle and the Rs created another clear-cut chance in the 49th minute. This time a corner found its way to Mahon on the edge of the area. The midfielder managed to head the ball through, but Damion Stewart could only blast it high and wide of the target.

The Rs continued to pile on the pressure upon the Stanley defence and were almost rewarded in the 63rd minute. This time it was Ephraim at the centre of the action, picking up the ball on the left wing, cutting inside, and smashing it straight at Martin in the Accrington goal, who brilliantly tipped it away.

Four minutes later, QPR finally broke the deadlock. It was the pace of Taraabt that was causing problems for Stanley once again, speeding through midfield and passing to Ramage on the right-hand side. The former Newcastle defender crossed in for Ephraim, who brought the ball down and then sent it looping over Martin and into the back of the net. A wonderful lob.

After the relief of scoring, Jim Magilton made his final substitution of the match, replacing Gavin Mahon with the skilful Wayne Routledge. This would prove to be another excellent decision.

At this point the Rs were in full control of proceedings and they almost doubled their advantage in the 67th minute. A through-ball from Leigertwood put Taraabt through on the right flank. Under pressure from Kempson and with an awkward angle, the Moroccan could only force a save from the Accrington ‘keeper.

Accrington Stanley substitute: McConville off for Grant (72 minutes).

Accrington Stanley substitute: Murphy off for Kee (72 minutes).

Despite the two Stanley substitutions, it was still Queens Park Rangers who were playing the better football and creating all the opportunities. In the 76th minute Vine progressed into the penalty area. The striker’s touch was too heavy and the goalkeeper closed him down. Vine then passed to Routledge inside the box, but his effort was well blocked by a wall of Accrington defenders.

Accrington Stanley substitute: Ryan off for Turner (80 minutes).

At the other end, Stanley had a decent opportunity to level the scoreline in the 84th minute. Some poor defending allowed Miles to pick up the ball inside the area. To my relief, Tom Heaton managed to push the shot out of play.

A minute later, Turner picked up the ball 25 yards out and sent an ambitious drive just over the bar. QPR were living very dangerously.

Just as Rs fans were getting worried, however, Wayne Routledge netted the second in the 89th minute. More good work from Taraabt led to the diminutive winger picking up the ball in the area. Beating the Stanley defenders, he turned and smashed it home off the underside of the crossbar. Another brilliant goal.

However, Stanley responded in the second minute of stoppage time by getting the consolation goal that they deserved. A long ball was bundled home by the hard-working Symes.

Two minutes later, Mr Pawson blew the full-time whistle, signalling the end to what had been a very difficult match for the Rs.

Full-time: Queens Park Rangers 2-1 Accrington Stanley.

Bookings: Ramage (28), Ryan (38).

What the manager said…..

Jim Magilton: “They came here with nothing to lose, but you can only commend them for a quite magnificent display. They totally outplayed us in the first half. The goal gave us a lift but we couldn’t have played any worse than we did in the first half. You can’t defend that first half display – things need to improve very, very quickly. Unfortunately we’ve got a certain few who can believe they can just turn it on and off, but you can’t in this game. I’m going to shake the living daylights out of them”.

Conclusion

Magilton’s right. There were some very poor performances from certain individuals tonight. In the first half some of them simply didn’t look interested. Accrington Stanley outplayed and outfought the Rs throughout the first period.

However, I can draw positives from the performance on Tuesday night. Tom Heaton, who commanded his area very well and made a number of decent saves, impressed me. His distribution needs to improve, but overall this was a promising display from the goalkeeper. Taraabt was also excellent in the second half and he arguably changed the game for the Rs.

Overall, although I’m glad that QPR have progressed in this competition, I’m concerned by the performance. It’s going to have to be much better if they are going to get a decent result on Saturday afternoon.

Man of the match: Adel Taraabt – as already mentioned, he changed the match when he came on in the second half. Accrington Stanley simply couldn’t cope with his skill and pace.